THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT RESIDENTS OF COLORADO ONLY
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 05:00pm ON MONDAY , SEPTEMBER 19, 2022.
This position will have remote and hybrid workplace options available but will still be required to report to the listed address at the discretion of the supervisor and based on business need.
The Department of Labor and Employment keeps Colorado strong and competitive. We connect workers with great jobs and assist those who have been injured on the job. We help people who are unemployed through no fault of their own by providing temporary wage replacement and we ensure fair labor practices. We provide an up-to-date and accurate picture of the economy that helps in decision making. And we protect the workplace - and Colorado communities - with a variety of consumer protection and safety programs.
This is a values-driven organization, committed to accountability, agility, collaboration, and respect.
We believe in outstanding customer service, an inclusive culture, continued process improvement and in our role as a trusted and strategic partner. Recognizing that knowledgeable employees drive our success, we are seeking dedicated individuals who exhibit our shared values and our passion for quality and excellence in all we do.
In addition to rewarding and meaningful work, we offer excellent benefits:
* Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including a PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA Defined Contribution Plan plus 401(k) and 457 plans
* Medical and dental health plans
* Employer supplemented Health Savings Account
* Paid life insurance
* Short- and long-term disability coverage
* 11 paid holidays per year plus vacation and sick leave
* BenefitHub state employee discount program
* MotivateMe employee wellness program
* Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible schedules, training and more
* Access to participate in employer-supported employee affinity spaces
* RTD Eco-Pass Commuter Program
Our agency website: Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
CDLE has implemented a pilot program on March 1st, 2022 which will award Disability Hiring Preference Points similar to the Veterans' Preference Points program. During your application process you will be asked if you would like to be considered for either of these programs for additional points in the hiring process. To learn more about Disability Hiring Preference and what will be required to participate, please visit our website: sites.google.com/state.co.us/disability-hiring-preference/home
PLEASE NOTE: With the beginning of this program, CDLE will no longer accept attachments of any kind with applications. Please be as thorough as possible in documenting your education and work history in the application system. Attachments will not be accepted or considered during any phase of the hiring process including minimum qualification screening, comparative analysis, or interviews.
Description of Job
Salary range for this position:
$2,057.08 - $2,295.69 Biweekly
$53,484.00 - $59,688.00 Annually
The Accountant II completes accounting activities to help ensure that financial activities performed are recorded accurately and timely to most effectively support the financial needs of the Finance Division and other Divisions as assigned by the Controller and/or the Deputy Controller. This position's duties in the Accountant series includes but is not limited to:
* Approves general ledger accounting activities and reconciliations for General Financial Accounting and Grant Program Accounting including Cash, Federal, and State Grants.
* Reviews and creates journal entries
* Reviews, coordinates, and corrects CDLE quarterly and year-end diagnostic reporting to the State Controller's Office;
* Reviews and makes entries to manage and maintain CDLE's fixed assets and capital assets,
* Process transactions for all general accounting and some grant program expenditure, revenue, asset and liability accounts.
* OIT Billing, including reallocation to various CDLE Divisions.
* Legal Billing, including reallocation to various CDLE Divisions.
* General entering or approval of ITI/ITA transactions.
* Compiles and submits monthly, quarterly and annual reporting in a timely manner.
* This position supports general accounting and grant program needs with budgeting, procurement, payroll and banking.
* The position will monitor and report general accounting and some grant program fund allocations to ensure that the Grant Program Accountants have the most current information for decision making.
* This position provides accounting records and transactions to assure conformance to all applicable Federal, State, and Local rules and regulations.
* This position processes lease payments
* Encumbrance modification and Procurement Contracting Services Support
* Performs accounting for state and federal fiscal year-end closing activities and other related general accounting duties
* Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution which included 27 semester hours of accounting or auditing coursework will substitute for the degree requirement.
Additional appropriate experience will substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Additional appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for year basis.
Current, valid licensure as a CPA by the Colorado Board of Accountancy will substitute for the degree requirement.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in accounting.
Two years of professional accounting experience.
* Professional knowledge of general accounting practices and standards, including GAAP, GASB, State fiscal rules, State financial reporting, and State Auditor requirements.
* Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software, specifically Excel.
* Demonstrated experience working with CORE (Advantage).
* Public-sector and/or government accounting experience
* General ledger & reconciliation accounting experience
* Work experience with payroll activities, transactions, and accounting
* Performing duties similar to those assigned to the position as a classified State of Colorado employee.
* Financial department processes: Familiarity with the different processes, duties, jargon, role in an organization, and other specificities of the financial department within an organization. Understanding of financial statements, investments, disclosing policies, etc.
* Accounting techniques: Experience with the techniques of recording and summarizing business and financial transactions and analyzing, verifying, and reporting the results.
* Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
* Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
* The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
* The Office of the State Controller (Colorado State Fiscal Rules, Fiscal Procedures Manual, Procurement Rules, Accounts Receivable Collection Rules, CORE Policies and Procedures, etc.).
* Federal rules and regulations related to the administration of Federal grants, up to and including knowledge of the Federal Uniform Guidance.
* Successful individual in this position will also have knowledge of the Legislature and/or Governor's Office (Long Bill appropriations, Executive Orders, Colorado Revised Statutes), and CDLE specific policies and initiatives.
Conditions of Employment:
* Must be a Colorado resident at time of application.
* You must pass a thorough background check prior to employment. which will include to E-Verify process.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for this position, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board or request a review by the State Personnel Director.
An appeal or review must be submitted on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative. This form must be delivered to the State Personnel Board by email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]), postmarked in US Mail or hand delivered (1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver CO 80203), or faxed (303.866.5038) within ten (10) calendar days from your receipt of notice or acknowledgement of the department's action.
For more information about the appeals process, the official appeal form, and how to deliver it to the State Personnel Board; go to spb.colorado.gov; contact the State Personnel Board for assistance at (303) 866-3300; or refer to 4 Colorado Code of Regulations (CCR) 801-1, State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, Chapter 8, Resolution of Appeals and Disputes, at spb.colorado.gov under Rules.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
Minimum Qualification Screening
A Human Resources Analyst will only review the work experience/job duties sections of the online job application to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Cover letters and resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of the official State of Colorado online application, CDLE does not accept attachments of any kind during the application process. Part-time work experience will be prorated.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications to continue in the selection process for this position. Work experience and qualifications must be specifically documented on your online application. Do not use "see resume" or "see attached" statements on your application. CDLE does not accept attachments of any kind during the application process.
Comparative Analysis Process - Structured Application Review
After minimum qualification screening, the comparative analysis process for this position will involve a review and rating of all the information you submit with your application materials. Therefore, it is extremely important to document in the work experience/job duties portion of your online application the extent to which you possess the education, experience, minimum qualifications, and preferred qualifications as outlined in the job announcement. It is also important to thoroughly answer all supplemental questions (if listed) as your answers to these questions will be evaluated during this phase.
Answer the supplemental questions on the application completely and thoughtfully. Your answers may be rated based on your writing ability (spelling, grammar, and clarity of your writing) as well as the content of your answer.
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL MULTIPLE VACANCIES
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
The Colorado Department of Labor and Employment is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Deidre Johnson, at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or call 303-318-8163. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. For all other inquiries about this recruitment effort, please call 303-318-8200.
OPTIONAL: While a salary range is posted for this position, an eventual salary offer is determined by a comprehensive salary analysis, which considers multiple factors including but not limited to education and experience compared to others in the organization doing substantially similar work.