Sparton is a world leader in the design, development, testing and production of complex maritime electronic systems, including sonobuoys in support of Anti-Submarine Warfare, submarine deployed products supporting Undersea Warfare, and depth-rated encapsulated systems to support Subsea and Seabed Warfare.
The Manager, New Business Development creates business strategies to facilitate company growth. Identifies and helps to develop strategic relationships with partners or potential Customers. Works with other departments to ensure alignment of company goals as set by senior management.
- Manage business development opportunities including but not limited to:
- Seek growth opportunities
- Provide customer insights
- Competitive intelligence
- Define business strategy
- Establish and maintain steady and regular direct, face-to-face engagement with appropriate program offices (PMA-264 Civilian and Military Deputies, Operations Director and other key personnel) to comprehend PMA-264’s and act as Sparton’s conduit for information to and from PMA-264 staff:
- Procurement strategy
- Evolving technical requirements
- Key acquisition milestones
- Appropriate individuals within PMA-290
- Division Head, N98 Sonobuoy branch Head and Assistant Sonobuoy Branch Head to understand US Navy’s procurement priorities and represent Sparton’s competitive advantages and growth priorities. Act as Sparton’s conduit for information to and from OPNAV staff. Ensure N98’s procurement priorities are understood by Sparton’s SLT and integrated into Sparton’s Five-year, annual and monthly planning activities.
- Engage with other key NAVAIR organizations (PEO Air-ASW, NAWC-AD, AIRWorks, etc.) as necessary to ensure Sparton leadership is armed with the most current, overarching US Navy and Maritime Patrol Aviation acquisition priorities. Ensure US Navy’s acquisition priorities are understood and integrated into Sparton’s Five-year, annual and monthly planning activities.
- Establish and maintain routine engagement with Commander Patrol and Reconnaissance Group’s (CPRG) N7/8 and N7/9B comprehend Maritime Patrol Aviation Fleet desires and requirements. Act as the Sparton conduit for information to and from the CPRG staff. Ensure MPRA Fleet priorities are understood and integrated into Sparton’s Five-year, annual and monthly planning activities.
- Develop comprehensive, impactful customer engagement agendas for CEO, VP BD, and other Senior Leader Team members for visits to the National Capital Region, Patuxent River, MD, and Norfolk, VA.
- Work with other BD team members, Programs and Engineering teams to ensure cross-functional synergy on key opportunities and developmental activities
- Coordinate with Sparton ECP BD VP to prepare strategic plans for growth, capturing key pursuits and potential acquisition candidates. Assist with defining strategic direction of Sparton in concert with the BD and Senior Leader teams.
- Track leading indicators (e.g., Navy budget development, senior Navy pronouncements, proposed congressional actions, etc.) and report expeditiously to enable Sparton to adjust resources as necessary.
- In the absence of, or in company with, the BD VP, attend and represent Sparton at National Capital Region-PAX-NORF area trade shows, industry days and conferences, and other strategic or decisional MPRA (e.g., NARG and Commander’s Conference hosted by CPRW-10 And CPRW-11). Provide detailed report on event’s activities, specifically those activities that may impact Sparton’s utilization of resources or strategic decisions.
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in Marketing, Engineering or Business or related field OR a combination of education and relevant experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in US Navy MPRA operational and acquisition leadership positions.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in Business Development in or related to Navy program offices.
- Proficiency with Salesforce or other Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook and Teams.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of manager, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
The physical demands describe here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk and communicate, use hands/finger, feel and reach with arms. This position requires the ability to lift, bend or stoop as necessary up to 20 lbs.
SPARTON provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.