If you want to achieve more in your mission of healthcare, you have to be really smart about the business of healthcare. Financial discipline and accountability count more today than ever, which is why your performance and innovation will find a reception here like nowhere else as you help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.
UnitedHealthcare is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across most major segments of the US health care system.
When you work with UnitedHealthcare, what you do matters. It's that simple…and it's that challenging.
In providing consumer-oriented health benefit plans to millions of people, our goal is to create higher quality care, lower costs and greater access to health care. Join us and you will be empowered to achieve new levels of excellence and make a profound and personal impact as you contribute to new innovations in a vital and complex system.
The Specialty Benefits CFO is a senior leader that supports the business’s national leadership team including Dental, Vision, Financial Protection, new acquisitions and potential expansion. The CFO serves as the financial advisor and strategic partner to the business strategies of the larger Specialty Benefits organization and matrixed partners, but also in the more detailed product (i.e. Dental, Vision, etc.) strategies. They collaborate with Local Market leadership on distribution and performance and lead a highly functioning finance team. The business CFO will have complete oversight for all aspects surrounding the financial planning, reporting, analysis and financial stewardship of capital deployment. The CFO will also provide input and support to the operations of the products, including helping drive innovation and the development and execution of the business strategies.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Positions in this function generate forecasts and analyze trends in sales and enrollment, operating costs, product line profitability, provider performance, medical costs, premium yields, and other areas of business. Impact of work is most often at the product (i.e. Dental, Vision, etc.) level, or is responsible for a major portion of a business segment, or functional area
- Research internal and external market intelligence to assist with the organization's financial and strategic planning
- Partnership with senior leadership teams on the creation and execution of the strategic business plan
- Lead high functioning finance team to the next level of performance and support through vision, modeled leadership, coaching and high expectations while employing Diversity and Inclusion actions in all areas of management
- Provide leadership to and is accountable for the performance and results through multiple layers of management and senior level professional staff
- Present findings and recommendations to management; Includes responsibility for budget planning and analysis
- Lead, coach, and develop a high-performing finance team through an environment of growth and change
- Strategic partnership with senior leadership teams on the creation and execution of the strategic business plan
- Partner with the senior leadership team to establish profitable, sustainable, broad-based market-share growth of the various products through improved penetration in the commercial segment, expanded state Medicaid contracts and continued partnership with Medicare plans
- Be a true matrix-partner leader to navigate and collaborate with UHC E&I Specialty Benefit’s product initiatives:
- Improve sales & account management performance and collaboration with Local Markets
- Find the right balance of underwriting resources and processes to deliver expected growth
- Manage profitability while delivering on the expectation to grow the book of business
- Drive operating cost efficiency, including all controllable and distribution expenses for all of Specialty Benefits
- Aid in integration and performance management of recent acquisitions
- Establish capital planning requirements to support the strategic business plans including a platform migration for All Savers
- Lead completion of market and national forecasts (membership, full P&L financial, scenario modeling) across all channels
- Lead in identifying market financial risks and opportunities by analyzing trends in areas including membership, pricing, provider performance, benefit costs and SG&A; aid in planning proposals to mitigate and exploit
- Support underwriting and pricing decisions across each product, channel and geography as necessary to optimize margin / growth
- Forge trust via strong internal/external relationships with the product teams, market, region and national teams, including Pricing, Underwriting, Health Care Economics, Network, Network Pricing, Clinical, Sales, Regional Finance and Corporate Finance to achieve goals
- Engage with external constituencies including regulators, providers, customers and brokers as necessary
- Evaluate and use technology to enhance operational efficiencies and performance
- Lead strategic projects that have an impact inside and outside of Finance
- Influence actions of peers inside and outside of Finance
- Make enhancements to system of internal controls
- Provide comprehensive balanced advice on finance policies
- Other duties, as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 10+ years of relevant financial and operational management experience
- Advanced knowledge of specialty or related healthcare industry (5+ years)
- Strong ability to influence others, including management, and challenge status quo
- Exceptional financial acumen and P&L management skills
- Ability to provide objective, analytical evaluation of health plan financial results.
- Excellent data analysis skills with the demonstrated ability to turn analysis into action
- Ability to anticipate accounting, financial reporting, forecasting, and operational issues, assess their implications, determine their impact and develop and implement an appropriate action plan
- Demonstrated ability to highlight issues / problems and convey complex thoughts, written and oral, in a clear, concise and timely manner
- Experience driving business performance in a high growth environment
- Managerial experience of professional finance staff
- Proven ability to work in a matrix environment with a strong ability to positively influence other functional areas
- Professional experience and presence as evidenced by demonstrated success in various business cycles, conditions, and complex business models
- Demonstrated ability to act as a change agent within and outside of finance
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- Candidates with finance experience must demonstrate a strong working knowledge of managerial accounting
- Strong work ethic, independence, and dependability. Takes on broad new challenges
- Entrepreneurial spirit. Always looking for opportunities to improve and grow the business
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of healthcare. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $169,500 to $322,500. The role is also eligible to participate in UHG’s annual bonus and long-term incentive plans. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Minnetonka, Minnesota, MN, telecommute, remote, work from home, 914995