ASC operates the on-mountain restaurants and the four mountains in the Aspen Snowmass area - Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk - as well as the Five Star, Five Diamond property The Little Nell, the Limelight Hotel properties which operate in Aspen, Ketchum Idaho and Snowmass. ASC also operates the rental & retail stores of Four Mountain Sports as well as the Award-winning Ski & Snowboard Schools of Aspen Snowmass.
The Culinary Supervisor responsibility is to participate & supervise in the preparation, production & service of menu items according to the direction of the Restaurant Chef & Sous Chef.
Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for the safe handling of food product according to applicable health codes and laws.
• Maintains a clean and sanitary work environment, participate in pre and post shift cleaning and organization to include but not limited to: kitchen equipment, walk in fridge/freezer storage, dry storage, trash, recycle, mopping, sweeping
• Prepares & serves food items according to chef specifications
• Assists in the daily preparation of task lists to ensure items are ready for service
• Supervises and assists with training new employees as requested by Restaurant Chef and Sous Chef
• Supervises storage of food deliveries, looking to ensure adequate food quality and shelf life
• Works any food station within the restaurant with a high degree of competency and consistency
• Reports any problems with food product, kitchen equipment or work area to a Chef/Sous chef
• Interacts with guests during service, if working in a servery restaurant; engages and correct issues as they arise
• Ensures that Manager is aware of guest comments and concerns
• Shows advanced knowledge of a variety of cooking techniques to include baking, broiling, grilling, sauté, roasting, blanching
• Safely uses a knife, able to demonstrate consistency with knife cuts, and able to teach others
• Safely operates and is able to train others on the operation of various kitchen equipment including ovens, grill, flattop, soup kettles, slicers, robo-coupe, immersion blender
• Other duties as assigned
• Must be 18 years or older
• Culinary school graduate and/or 3 years of progressive experience in a professional kitchen required
• Prior work experience in a variety of commercial/professional kitchens is required
• Prior guest service experience is preferred for employment in our servery kitchens
• ServSafe or similar food safety course certification is preferred
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Office or similar computer programs preferred
• Excellent written and spoken English required, Spanish is an advantage
• Ability to ski or ride at an intermediate level is required for employees of ski in/ski out restaurants in winter
Supervision Given and Received:
Supervision Given: Exercises general supervision over kitchen staff. Assigns a variety of routine tasks, sets general expectations of results expected within company’s policies and procedures. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Supervision Received: Works under general supervision of the Restaurant Chef. Receives continuing or individual assignments according to supervisor’s directions and may perform routine tasks. Expectations of the quality, quantity and deadlines are clearly set. Instructions, advice and assistance available as needed. Work is reviewed on demand or during scheduled check-ins.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Ability to reach, crouch, kneel, smell, taste, stand, walk or be on your feet for extended periods of time
Regularly work in wet, hot and humid conditions for extended periods of time and may be required to walk on slippery and uneven surfaces
Must be able to frequently lift, push or pull up to 50 ) lbs. individually or with assistance (weight limits can vary according to position, but no more than 50)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Aspen Skiing Company / The Little Nell / Limelight Hotel is an equal opportunity employer.
For an overview of Aspen Skiing Company's benefits and other compensation visit aspensnowmass.com/jobs/benefits