The Embedded Software Architect & Developer will lead the software engineering team in architecting and developing the system software for BridgeComm's Optical Communications Link products. The Software Architect and Developer will lead and define system software architecture, develop and test of the various software modules, work with other engineering discipline leads to ensure system integration and customer and product requirements are being satisfied, while aligning the design to the overall product line technology road map. The Software Architect & Developer will work alongside other engineering discipline team members and the Chief Systems Engineer to ensure quality, accurate and timely designs are completed. The Software Architect will be highly knowledgeable of software architecting and development processes, tools, and standards to develop optical wireless communications (OWC) products for terrestrial, airborne and space applications. In addition, the role will work with the Program Management team for execution on programs, supporting reporting needs and status for the design work performed
Work Location: Denver, Colorado - Hybrid work environment (preferred) or Remote
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create software architecture and designs that consider both current and possible future system and product requirements
- Collaborate with other professionals to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications
- Use tools and methodologies to create representations for functions and interfaces of desired product
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards
- Establish the proper work-flow within a SAFe Agile Development environment
- Oversee the Design, code, test, and debugging of system software elements and support software tools.
- Write automated unit tests using TDD and BDD techniques
- Mentor experienced and inexperienced developers
- Peer review other team members' work
- Diagnose software issues and propose solutions that achieve the proper balance between technically-sound yet quick to implement
- Be motivated by problem solving and development of the range of solutions, over the system development lifecycle,
- Participating and representing the company in various customer meetings and support programmatic and technical reviews (e.g., SRR, PDR, CDR, etc.) to provide technical recommendations and risk assessments.
- Repeated use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques.
- Supporting the development and managing the technical risk registers and developing any required mitigation plans for all key product technical risks.
- Facilitate capture of engineering lessons learned and ensure processes and design guidance tailored from industry best practices and key program learning.
- Supporting the configuration management and control of product design BOMs and relevant technical data.
- Actively engage in the development and continuous improvement of engineering processes.
Required Experience & Skills:
- Proficiency in designing system software from the OS level to application level
- Mastery of multiple high-level languages such as C++, Python
- Proficiency with FreeRTOS OS
- Proficiency within an Agile/SCRUM process
- Knowledge of testable application design principles, utilizing Karma, NUnit or similar
- Strong understanding of SQL and relational databases, such as Postgres or MySQL
- Proficiency with developing software for I2C, SPI, RS485, SpaceWire and/or CANBus
- Well-honed skills in source control management using Git or similar
- Proven success in mentoring experienced and inexperienced developers
- Proficiency in communicating to various audiences and able to adjust message to a particular audience
- Ability to be a technical leader by influencing and educating others
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Proficiency in HTML5 or other web technologies
- Understanding of embedded FPGA programming and development
- Strong Proficiency in developing in Windows or Linux environments
- Effective presentation skills, both content creation and presentation of materials.
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and make objective, defendable work products with the information at hand, in a timely manner.
- Track record of independent work and self-motivation.
- Experience with ISO 9001, DoD, or equivalent work environment
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in software development
- At least 2 years of proven software architecting
- B.S. in Computer Science, or related field. M.S. preferred.
Employee and Team Culture Competencies
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Schedule Consciousness - Works within approved timelines; develops and implements time saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $145,000 - $175,000 annual (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance - 100% of premiums covered by company
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Employee Stock Plan
- Paid holidays, vacation & sick leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible work hours (Healthy work life balance)
- Hybrid remote work location
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., or protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other protected factor.