Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 4:00 pm
%2420.00 - 25.00 / hr 4% bonus
Medical, Dental, Vision, Tuition Reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pet Insurance
This position is based out of Henderson, CO and is responsible for performing a variety of routine hazardous and non-hazardous waste tasks including the movement of solids and liquids, especially flammable liquids from tankers to rail cars and rail cars to tankers.
Under direct supervision, tasks could include all types of manual labor in cleaning and decontamination operations, vacuum projects and handling, packing, re-packing, unloading and loading containers for processing at site or transportation to appropriate facilities as well as loading rail cars and unloading rail cars. This position also provides specialized transportation and disposal services to our clients for the safe handling and management of hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
Responsibilities include classification, segregation, packaging, labeling, profiling, manifesting, loading/unloading, placarding, spill response, sampling, and transportation while adhering to state and federal environmental, health, and safety regulations. The position is responsible for the daily tracking/tracing of rail cars from satellite offices to end disposal facilities. This position manages the branch rail car fleet on a daily basis as well as performing sampling on tankers and rail cars.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Load and unload various size containers (totes, drums, tankers, trailers. etc.)
• Construct boxes and/or fiber containers and stacks, labels, and loads containers.
• Use a variety of tools such as impact wrenches, shovels, jackhammers, etc.
• Transport hazardous waste materials from storage facilities within the facility as directed.
• Decontaminate and dispose of empty drums and/or containers according to RCRA and disposal guidelines.
• Assist in completing all necessary paperwork for processing materials to include transportation of materials to and from various locations.
• Perform general housekeeping duties.
• Maintain a clean, organized and safe work area.
• Inspection material handling equipment as directed.
• Assist in the loading/unloading of hazardous and non-hazardous waste materials at designated sites utilizing appropriate equipment for which you are appropriately trained.
• Oversee sampling of waste streams and unknown containers according to prescribed policies and procedures and perform these functions as necessary.
• Assist in the supervision of Environmental Specialists I and II in classification, segregation, packaging, labeling, loading, unloading, manifesting, transportation, placarding and small remedial activities such as decontamination work, use of hand tools for spill clean-up/small remediation projects.
• Knowledge of disposal site capabilities and limitations prior to shipment to ensure efficient disbursement and storage.
• Maintain a professional image to clients by answering inquiries and suggesting solutions to existing/potential problems.
• Comply and enforce all compliance, health, safety, and procedures in accordance with VES-TS policies.
• Become familiar with all U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT)/Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and VES-TS regulations required in submitting paper work to expedite disposal of hazardous waste and pertaining to the transportation of hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
• Perform daily inspections of vehicle and/or trailer prior to driving to ensure safety and integrity of equipment.
• Ensure that DOT requirements such as vehicle weight limits, driver log books, vehicle inspection records, transportation permits, special permits, insurance cards, registration, fuel trip reports, IFTA fuel stickers, or other paperwork is up-to-date and valid.
• Notify immediate supervisor and transportation manager of any moving violations and/or accidents in-route to and/or from project site. Notify immediate supervisor of any spills, breaks, first aid, accidents, or near misses that happen while on a job site or while on duty.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) required
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related science discipline preferred
• Prior work experience of 2-3 years in the hazardous waste/related industry preferred.
• 40-Hour HAZWOPER training
• Forklift Certified, CDL B with Hazmat preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
• Ability to communicate through reading and writing
• Trained in the use of material handling equipment
• Knowledge of VES-ES waste handling rules
• Knowledge of VES-ES compliance policies
• Knowledge of AS400 system and can enter data unsupervised
• Strong team player
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Time management: the ability to organize and manage multiple deadlines and simultaneous tasks
• Strong customer service orientation
• Computer proficient in windows, word, excel, and e-mail at a minimum
• Ability to follow through on assignments
• Good knowledge and understanding of basic chemistry, hazards of chemicals,