Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
Summary of Role:
The Field Applications Engineer is responsible for driving dealer adoption of new products and services by demonstrating features and value, developing skills, and preparing internal and external customers for success in the field. This role is part of a US-based team of field applications engineers, and it is part of the SunPower Applications, Quality and Analytics group.
Customer experience is critical to dealer success and dealer success is critical to sales and SunPower's success.
Help us change the way our world is powered by joining a team of bright, energetic technical experts who are bridging the gap between sales and technical teams, and who are on a mission to ensure dealer success. The Field Applications Engineering team at SunPower is responsible for delivering services and support that help customers have amazing experiences with our products, get the full value out of our tools and solutions, and delight our mutual customers. We provide on-the-job and in-class training. We coach dealers and help review their designs. We answer their questions about products and projects. And through it all, we're there when our customers need us and we are obsessive about ensuring their success and customer delight.
This job will primarily support the central and western US states, and the ideal candidate will be based there. Travel elsewhere in the US may be required. Up to 50% travel with frequent overnight stays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The Field Applications Engineer be part of a team that:
- Drive market share of SunPower products and services by demonstrating the value to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Support and educate internal and external outside of the formal training setting by consulting and advising on specific projects in person, online, and over the phone.
- Provide pre-construction and on-the-job support as part of technical training and onboarding.
- Deliver training sessions for internal and external customers on important topics including:
- New products
- PV and Storage site survey, design, installation, monitoring, and maintenance
- Building and electrical codes related to solar and storage
- Other topics as required
- Work with subject matter experts and courseware development teams to develop collateral including manuals, reference guides, job aids, checklists, worksheets, presentation decks, online lessons, videos, etc.
- Coordinate logistics related to classroom-based and field classes and support activities including agenda, facilities, training equipment, and ensuring all required tools and materials are on-hand and in working order.
- Report on training and technical sales activities to ensure dealer satisfaction and program effectiveness.
- Convey customer feedback and concerns to R&D, product management, and product engineering teams to help define market demands and requirements for new products.
- As required, collaborate on technical issues with internal development teams to refine, enhance, and improve the applications of SunPower's products and product documentation
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of relevant experience in solar, with 2+ years working in a semi-autonomous manner
- Proficient with common desktop and cloud software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Zoom)
- Excellent driving record and ability to pass an MVA background check
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Customer-focused attitude
- Experience working with licensed contractors
- Proficiency with MS Visio, CAD, and industry-specific software and tools (e.g., PVsyst, PVSim, Aurora, SunEye, etc.)
- Experience training adult learners desired, and/or experience with instructional design or computer-based courseware development tools.
- Experience with design, engineering, and/or installation of solar + storage desired
- NABCEP and/or other industry certification
- Master Electrician or other industry-related licensure
- Class A CDL
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Individuals in this position may be required to obtain additional training and certifications to comply with SunPower policies such (but not limited to) as NFPA70E or First Aid/CPR.
Travel throughout the US may be required. Up to 50% average travel with frequent overnight stays.
When in the field individuals will be expected to be capable of performing tasks similar to those of an electrician or field technician.
This is a remote-based position, and candidates are expected to work from home when not working in the field. This includes frequent online meetings, on-camera presentations, and phone calls.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.