POSITION SUMMARY: Under occasional supervision, the Licensing Engineer 3 provides project licensing direction for assigned regulatory projects while ensuring compliance with nuclear safety and licensing requirements. The Licensing Engineer 3 ensures the development of timely and high quality products for submittal to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). The Licensing Engineer also provides licensing services to engineering, test, safety analysis internal resources on regulatory and licensing activities in support of licensing projects. The Licensing Engineer interfaces with the NRC on assigned activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the resolution of complex issues and processes to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements for assigned projects.
- Provides tactical direction and technical regulatory guidance to internal project resources, cross-functional work teams, and NuScale management for complex issues to resolve licensing strategy, implementation or interpretation issues.
- Oversees and supports licensing programs and schedules for various regulatory engagements and actions. Provides support for regulatory meetings and hearings for assigned projects.
- Oversees and supports interface with clients and provide support to clients as required. Manages inputs to the regulatory applications and other legal processes for obtaining licenses and permits.
- Oversees and supports interface and interactions with industry groups (e.g., NEI, EPRI etc.) as directed by the responsible manager.
- Oversees and supports submittal of project licensing documents and ensures that licensing documents are complete, accurate and in compliance with the licensing strategy, commitments, and statutory requirements in all material respects.
- Prepares, edits, and reviews regulatory submittals to regulatory agencies in support of NuScale licensing efforts. Applies authoring, reviewing editing, document planning, and organizational skills in the preparation of a large and complex nuclear license applications.
- Develops effective regulatory strategy based on industry and regulatory guidance documents; makes recommendations based on the analysis of technical and regulatory information through independent efforts.
- Ensures NuScale program compliance with applicable regulations, codes and standards.
- Implements lessons learned and industry best practices at NuScale; actively involved in industry groups/forums as assigned.
- Travels domestically and/or internationally to various regulator and industry locations when performing assigned tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education/Certification: A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or Science is required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of six years’ regulatory affairs or licensing experience in the nuclear industry at nuclear power plants, nuclear reactor suppliers, or nuclear industry architect-engineering is required. Other nuclear, Navy nuclear, engineering and legal/regulatory background may be considered. Experience involving direct interactions with regulatory agencies is preferred.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
NuScale Power, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status
COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY: If you are a Colorado resident and this role is open for remote work, you may be eligible to receive additional information about compensation and benefits for this position, which we will provide upon request. Please send your inquiry to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] for assistance.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.