At the end of April 2019, WorleyParsons combined with Jacobs Energy, Chemicals and Resources (ECR) division, to create Worley.
Together, we are a leading global provider of professional project and asset services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors. We have almost 60,000 amazing people in around 60 countries across the world covering the full lifecycle, from creating new assets to sustaining and enhancing operating assets for our customers.
Position Summary We are seeking a Principal Metallurgical Engineer with extensive experience in the field of flotation as the Subject Matter Expert for Worley Mining and Metals group. The candidate will be an experienced senior process engineer with experience over the range of engineering progressions from conceptual studies, various studies levels (Level 1-5), detailed engineering and commissioning. Primary responsibility will be front end study efforts which include a component of sales and business development.The candidate must have a working knowledge of extractive metallurgy processes across a range of commodities (gold, copper, nickel, lead/zinc, etc.) and various downstream related processing circuits and facilities.The Subject Matter Expert will also have the responsibility for introducing systems and procedures for the integration and long term retention of other process engineers within the Mining and Metals line of business. Responsibilities include team management across multiple locations, overall global alignment of process designs, heat and material balances, equipment specifications with conditions of service, review of equipment and mineral services RFQ packages, development of Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping & Instrument Diagrams (P&IDs). Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, client interaction and organizational skills, and proficiency with process modelling software such as MetSim and excel based process modeling. Candidate must be highly motivated, customer focused, project oriented and work well in a team environment. Candidate should also have the ability to manage a heavy workload, travel for short periods of time, and support international mining projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Comprehensive understanding of engineering principles, theories, concepts, and industry practices and standards with emphasis on practical application
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of complex mining and heavy industrial process and engineering designs
- Be able to provide specialist flotation consulting services to Clients
- Maintain understanding of advances in circuit and equipment design and testing by attending comminution conferences, liaising with vendors and visiting operating sites and testing laboratories
- Responsible for the development and introduction of new metallurgical process and integration into our business stream with respect to engineering design and project execution for a variety of commodities (copper, nickel, lead, etc.)
- Will provide global and/or regional technical guidance to other engineers and act as mentor to less experienced process design and engineering personnel
- Develop and maintain internal training and succession planning on a global and/or regional basis
- Assist in development of proposals and project scopes in collaboration with management, sales, project delivery, engineering and discipline representatives
- Maintain effective communication with peer team members and with global clients
- Manages simultaneous projects with competing priorities in various execution phases on a wide variety of mining processes
- Accountable for meeting project cost and schedule requirements; evaluates and approves changes that substantially impact the scope, budget, or schedule of a project
- Maintains budgets and schedules forecast with assistance from project controls
Detailed Responsibilities to include:
- Be experienced and knowledgeable in the following areas;
- Flotation test work programs and ore characterization
- Computer modelling
- Flotation circuit process design & evaluation
- Flotation circuit optimization
- Circuit optimization and have site experience in the following areas;
- Processing plant operations
- Plant commissioning
- Plant site troubleshooting
Test work programs and ore characterization;Be experienced in the process of working with geologists and mining engineers to obtain knowledge of the geology and mine plans. Based on understanding lithology, mining schedules and similar information be able to determine domains within ore bodies and with this knowledge develop a sample selection program to generate the required design data.
Dependent on the sample source, develop test work programs to characterize the properties of the ore and assess variability.
Have expertise in the types of testing typically undertaken as part of the program, such as;
- Batch testing
- Locked cycle
- Pilot/Demonstration plant
- Reagent regimes
Have sufficient knowledge to compare test ores to other ore types with known behavior. Use results to provide input to Metsim or other models for equipment selection.Be expert in the use of specialist flotation circuit modelling packages including:
- JK SimFloat
- JK SimMet
Undertake variability modelling and review plant production over the life of mine. Understand implications of ore variability on project risk. Combine ore characterization with detailed computer modelling for to develop process circuit designs or to optimize designed or operating circuits.
Process design & evaluation:Be experienced in undertaking engineering studies to the level of detail as guided by the level of study required by the client (scoping study, pre-feasibility, definitive or bankable feasibility or a detailed design).
Lead the development of flotation circuit design and selection using ore characterization test work to select the circuit configuration and to size major equipment. Use mine schedule information to refine designs.
Lead the engineering technical design for the development of studies through to detailed engineering, including assisting with capital and operating costs for the flotation sections of the project. Provide guidance in the generation of documentation to cover items such as circuit design philosophy, circuit description, process flow diagrams with mass balance, P&IDs, major equipment calculations and specifications, control philosophy and functional design specification. Be able to liaise with equipment vendors in relation to flotation design and equipment.
Be able to determine client requirements and produce cost effective designs to meeting client requirements and objectives
Provide process design and evaluation support to our global teams and clients including;
- Design criteria
- Circuit design philosophy
- Circuit selection
- Process flow diagrams
- Circuit mass balance
- Prediction of flotation recoveries
- Major equipment calculation and selection
- Option studies
- Control philosophy
Circuit optimizationBe experienced in the review, optimization and auditing of comminution circuits of many types on a global basis. Attend site visits to analyze circuit performance, review operating data, and undertake plant trials. Use survey data or other client supplied data to remodel the circuit for detailed or desk top reviews. Review optimization options using crushing and grinding circuit survey data. Benchmark the performance of unit processes identifying potential constraints and bottlenecks. Identify, design and implement circuit improvements and solution to problems in conjunction with site personnel. Review the effectiveness of changes once implemented.
Be experienced in being able to recommend changes to operating strategies and/or control philosophy and in training staff based on comminution circuit review findings.
Understand the impact of the following variables and model the circuit with varying parameters.
- Flotation feed size
- Control strategy
- Pulp density
- Flotation cell configuration and operation
- Circulating loads
- Maintenance issues
- Operational issues
- 15 years of project and operations experience required.
- PE License is strongly preferred or able to obtain.
- Qualified Person is required or able to obtain status
- Minimum BS in Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering.
- Good understanding and experience in flotation projects.
- Full understanding of process conditions and construction drawing development and review.
- Full understanding of flotation with some experience in downstream processing a plus.
- Proficient in PFD and P&ID development and maintenance.
- Experience with mine site processing facilities.
- Understanding of plant layout optimization.
- Familiar with process modeling platforms such as MetSim.
- Experience in Process Safety review processes and development of HAZOP reviews as a participant.
- MSHA/OSHA safety regulations knowledge is required.
- Experience in developing hour estimates and controlling project budgets.
- Experience with field/home office coordination and communications via a standard RFI system.
Worley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Worley is a background screening, drug-free workplace