Real Estate Accountant Job Summary
We are looking for a full-time real estate accountant to join our expanding team! Potential candidate will be responsible for keeping our financial records organized, including tracking accounts payable and receivable, and ensuring that each account is reconciled correctly. The position entails making real estate decisions by performing tasks such as analyzing financial data, preparing reports, and developing tax strategies. This is an opportunity to bring order to our growing real estate office and see tangible results from your work on a daily basis! Our ideal candidate takes pride in their detailed bookkeeping work and contributing to the greater success of the team.
Piscataway, NJ or remote
Real Estate Accountant Responsibilities
- Create detailed journal entries and post them to the general ledger (GL) to track all income statements and expenses.
- Handle all accounts payable and receivable on a daily basis to make sure each invoice and expense report is accurate. Reports may include items such as development expenses, operational costs and profits, developing revenue and expenditure cycle reports, lease abstracts, cash and accrual basis income statements and other budget-related items for real estate companies.
- Reconcile all business accounts to ensure our records match up and no transaction gets lost.
- Enter financial data into computer software, making sure all bills and invoices are filed correctly.
- Facilitate all incoming payments and outgoing checks, including printing, obtaining signatures for, and distributing checks as necessary.
- Follow up with vendors for accounts payable and keep in touch as needed for collections and ensure bills are paid on time.
- Prepare for quarterly reporting using standard best practices and assist in monthly closings. Contribute to documents such as lease and rental agreements, cost estimates and annual reports, calculating tax liabilities, tax depreciation, taxable gains and assisting in preparation of tax returns on behalf of real estate organizations.
- Produce monthly/year end financials for investors and tax representatives
- Record real estate purchases and sales.
- Ensure timely payment of personal property taxes, property insurance, and assisting in filing of annual tax reports with government agencies.
- Review CAM Reconciliations for correct calculations, Caps on CAM and other exclusions and inclusions
- Assist the real estate team or other staff accountants with other accounting duties as needed
Real Estate Accountant Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is highly valued
- At least 3 years experience in accounting, real estate accounting, or property accounting preferred
- Experience in real estate industry preferred
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong Excel skills and experience with accounting software, such as Quickbooks
- Solid written and verbal communication skills are a must
Real Estate Accountant Compensation