Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
WellMed provides concierge - level medical care and service for seniors, delivered by physicians and clinic staff that understand and care about the patient’s health. WellMed’s proactive approach focuses on prevention and the complete coordination of care for patients. WellMed is now part of the Optum division under the greater UnitedHealth Group umbrella.
The Nurse Case Manager II (NCM) is responsible for patient case management for longitudinal engagement, coordination for discharge planning, transition of care needs and outpatient patient management through the care continuum. Nurse Case Manager will identify, screen, track, monitor and coordinate the care of patients with multiple co-morbidities and/or psychosocial needs and develop a patients’ action plan and/or discharge plan. They will perform reviews of current inpatient services and determine medical appropriateness of inpatient and outpatient services following evaluation of medical guidelines and benefit determination. The Nurse Case Manager will provide continuity of care for members to an appropriate lower level of care in collaboration with the hospitals/physician team, acute or skilled facility staff, ambulatory care team, and the member and/or family/caregiver. The Nurse Case Manager will coordinate or provide appropriate levels of care under the direct supervision of an RN Manager or MD. Function is responsible for clinical operations and medical management activities across the continuum of care (assessing, planning, implementing, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating). This includes case management, coordination of care, and medical management consulting. Function may also be responsible for providing health education, coaching and treatment decision support for patients. The Nurse Case Manager will act as an advocate for patients and their families guide them through the health care system for transition planning and longitudinal care. The Nurse Case Manager will work in partnership with an assigned Care Advocate and Social Worker.
If you are located by a WellMed Location, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges
Work hours are Central Standard Time Zone (CST) 8:00 am - 5:00 pm or 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Engage patient, family, and caregivers telephonically to assure that a well-coordinated action plan is established and continually assess health status
- Provide member education to assist with self-management goals; disease management or acute condition and provide indicated contingency plan
- Identify patient needs, close health care gaps, develop action plan and prioritize goals
- Utilizing evidenced-based practice, develop interventions while considering member barriers independently
- Provide patients with "welcome home" calls to ensure that discharged patients’ receive the necessary services and resources according to transition plan
- Conducts a transition discharge assessment onsite and/or telephonically to identify member needs at time of transition to a lower level of care
- Independently serves as the clinical liaison with hospital, clinical and administrative staff as well as performs a review for clinical authorizations for inpatient care utilizing evidenced-based criteria within our documentation system for discharge planning and/or next site of care needs
- In partnership with care team triad, make referrals to community sources and programs identified for patients
- Utilize motivational interviewing techniques to understand cause and effect, gather or review health history for clinical symptoms, and determine health literacy.
- Manages assessments regarding patient treatment plans and establish collaborative relationships with physician advisors, clients, patients, and providers
- Collaborates effectively with Interdisciplinary Care Team (IDCT) to establish an individualized transition plan and/or action plan for patients
- Independently confers with UM Medical Directors and/ or Market Medical Directors on a regular basis regarding inpatient cases and participates in departmental huddles
- Demonstrate knowledge of utilization management processes and current standards of care as a foundation for utilization review and transition planning activities
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all company products and services as well as customer issues and needs through ongoing training and self-directed research
- Manage assigned caseload in an efficient and effective manner utilizing time management skills
- Enters timely and accurate documentation into designated care management applications to comply with documentation requirements and achieve audit scores of 95% or better on a monthly basis
- Maintain current licensure to work in state of employment and maintain hospital credentialing as indicated
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
There is a $2,500 Sign On Bonus for bilingual candidates. (Spanish or Vietnamese)
- Associate degree in Nursing
- Current, unrestricted RN license required, specific to the state of employment
- Three or more years of diverse clinical experience; preferred in caring for the acutely ill patients with multiple disease conditions
- Three or more years of managed care and/or case management experience
- Knowledge of utilization management, quality improvement, and discharge planning
- Must have reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and/or patient sites within a designated area
- Case Management Certification (CCM) or ability to obtain CCM within 12 months after the first year of employment
- This position requires Tuberculosis screening as well as proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis through lab confirmation of immunity, documented evidence of vaccination, or a doctor’s diagnosis of disease
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location, however, may be required to work from home temporarily due to space limitations
- Experience working with psychiatric and geriatric patient populations
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) language proficiency
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret information in medical records, and health plan documents
- Ability to problem solve and identify community resources
- Possess planning, organizing, conflict resolution, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Independently utilizes critical thinking skills, nursing judgement and decision-making skills. Must be able to prioritize, plan, and handle multiple tasks/demands simultaneously
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, and Excel
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 550,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
**PLEASE NOTE** The Sign On Bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a Sign On Bonus.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: WellMed, Healthcare, Bilingual, Registered Nurse, Case Manager, Telephonic Special Needs Population, SNP Performance, Disease/Care management, San Antonio, New Braunfels, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Texas, TX