Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, and education. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission of Inspiring Communities to Save Wildlife for Future Generations.
Denver Zoo honors our animals, staff, and guests by conducting ourselves at the highest level of integrity through our Core Actions -- Inspire Awe: Safety, Care, Connect and by embracing our Core Values of: Welcoming, United, Curious, Courageous and Transformative in all that we do.
Denver Zoo's Security department has an opportunity for full timeSecurity Officertoensure a safe and secure environment for guests, employees, animals, property and assets while still providing exceptional customer service. Candidates should have (preferred) experience insecurity, loss prevention, law enforcement, military or public safety, be customer service oriented and have a clean driving record. Bi-lingual candidates are encouraged to apply. Candidates must be able to work weekends and holidays as needed. Denver Zoo's Security Department has first shift available, all shifts require seasonal overtime:
- First Shift: Varying 8-hour workday between the hours of 7:00 AM-6:00 PM
Our staff is a dedicated and diverse group of individuals committed to providing quality care to our animals while creating moments of awe for guests. If you are a like-minded individual and thrive in a dynamic, fast paced, and innovative culture, Denver Zoo is the place for you!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Detect and report (verbally and in writing) suspicious, unsafe or criminal acts which may be a threat to guests, staff, animals property or assets on Denver Zoo property.
- Respond to emergency calls from security or other Zoo staff to prevent theft, property destruction, or vandalism.
- Administer first aid to sick or injured employees, volunteers and guests, and contact emergency medical providers for assistance.
- Contribute to the highest level of guest experience by assisting visitors, guests and staff and engage with the public by greeting and answering questions in a professional and welcoming manner.
- Survey Zoo grounds, including doors and gates, to identify any safety hazards and determine they are secure.
- Maintain access control and only permit authorized persons to entry property.
- Monitor surveillance cameras.
- Provide reporting and investigatory information on an ongoing and as needed basis.
- Produce accurate and concise written incident reports on a regular basis.
- Maintain knowledge of current emergency policies and procedures and respond to emergencies in accordance to policy.
- Set priorities in alignment with Inspire Awe:
- Safety first, always
- Care demonstrated through exceptional guest service
- Connect with each guest utilizing ROADMAP'sguest engagement strategies and program develop process
- Demonstrate a commitment to Denver Zoo's Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, & health regulations, procedures, and goals.
- Act in accordance with Denver Zoo’s Core Values: Welcoming, United, Transformative, Curious, and Courageousin all interactions with staff, guest, volunteers, and vendors.
Other Responsibilities and Duties
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Proven experience in and passion for guest service.
- Ability/demonstrated experience with evaluating situations, making decisions, and reacting quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Ability to interact effectively and calmly with angry or emotional patrons and employees during intensely aggravated circumstances.
- Ability to write clearly and informatively.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge.
- Ability to maintain guest, employee, and organization confidentiality.
- Must be able towalk (80 acres) and/or stand up to 8 hours daily in adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain, snow or heat.
Technical / Professional Requirements & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- One-year civilian (non-military) or military experience in security, safety, loss prevention or law enforcement (related academic training or customer service experience may be considered as a substitute for direct security requirement).
- Experience working in a high-volume customer focused venue or attraction is preferred.
- A current driver's license with a clear driving record.
- Ability to pass a physical examination, background check and pre-employment drug and alcohol screen.
- Ability to obtain a Denver Security License.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Range for this position is $17.78 - $20.44 hourly.
A pay differential will be paid for positions requiring Spanish speaking fluency.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision benefits; life insurance; short term and long-term disability; 403(b) retirement plan; and vacation and sick leave.
Application Process and Timelines
Open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately. Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to this date.
Denver Zoo is following all CDC guidelines.CDC states that receiving the COVID-19 vaccine is the best defense against the spread of, and severe illness due to, COVID-19. Denver Zoo highly encourages our employees to be vaccinated. We do ask for employees to upload their vaccination card into our HRIS for documentation. This information is kept confidential.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those with lived experience with racism and/or misogynoir are encouraged to apply for this role.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected status or any other characteristic protected by law.