Requisition ID: 133165
Job Level: Senior Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Part Time
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering (KIE) has an immediate opening for an experienced Pavement Engineer in our growing Design Engineering Services (DES) Group based in Lone Tree, CO. You will be part of our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, rail, and materials disciplines, that is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
As a KIE Senior Pavement Engineer, you will be challenged to not only review highly cost-effective pavement structures but also identify innovative construction methods and best practices that reduce construction time and risk while maintaining Kiewit’s best in industry construction safety. Serving most of Kiewit’s business markets, a full spectrum of pavement structure types are encountered, requiring a Senior Pavement Engineer to have a diverse pavement design and construction background. Fundamental and advanced engineering concepts and principles are used to design the entire pavement structure from the subgrade to the pavement surface.
As a senior member of the KIE Pavement Team you will serve as the Pavement Lead on Project task forces and serve as final review for the pavement engineer of record (EOR) for final designs and provide pavement-related support during construction. You will receive support from the Pavement Team including other senior and less experienced engineers. The technical objective of all senior pavement staff is to maintain Pavement Subject Matter Expert (SME) status, as such senior staff need to be committed to “life-long” learning and are also responsible for developing/training less experienced engineers.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering's Design-Build team is driving clients to turn to Kiewit during all stages of design-build projects. Through our integrated design and construction approach, our multi-disciplinary team works together to improve schedule, control costs and minimize risk. Our construction-focused engineers work collaboratively with our estimators and builders to design solutions that are innovative, constructible, and designed with a focus on safety. Clients benefit from the proven processes and tools used by Kiewit to minimize project risk. We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained, innovative concepts, and best practices for all projects that we support.
Kiewit’s management and implementation of this process leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that exceeds client expectations and furthers Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This position is currently based out of our Lone Tree, CO office.
The KIE Pavement team provides Project services during both “Get Work” and “Build Work” phases. Typical “Get Work” (Pursuit & Award) activities/tasks include:
• Pursuit Task Force Meetings
• Alternative Technical Concept (ATC) development
• Pursuit Pavement Design Recommendations
• Assisting pavement estimators
• Final Design Task Force Meetings
• Design Quality Management Program Submittal
Typical “Build Work” activities include:
• Construction Pavement services: field design change (FDC), request for information (RFI)
• Paving Operations Review/Training support for Project paving operations team
• Paving Operations Quality Management support
• Provide technical support for addressing paving non-conformance report (NCR) issues
As identified, a KIE Senior Pavement Engineer is a high responsibility, leadership position. As such, KIE expectations of Senior Pavement Engineers include:
• Practice high Professional Engineering ethical standards
• Be accountable for assigned tasks
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Accustom to working collaboratively as a team
• Work effectively in stressful situations (have a high level of emotional intelligence)
• Excellent fundamental and advanced technical competency in pavement design and construction
• Ability to “multi-task” and/or simultaneously work on multiple Projects
• Committed to continued technical development
• Provide leadership/guidance to team members
• Participation in technical Industry organizations and committees
• 40+ years of pavements or transportation materials experience
• Doctoral degree in Civil Engineering with emphasis in pavements or transportation materials related engineering field
• Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of products, including OneNote and Microsoft Teams
• Proficient written and verbal communication skills
• History of developing & sustaining a robust and externally funded research program
• Well-defined national reputation and recognition
• Interpret/learn/apply client specific design methodologies, specifications, and standards
• Engineering report writing and publishing
• Pavement Design & Analysis (Client Specific Methodology, AASHTO ’93, AASHTO Pavement ME, Multi-Layer Linear Elastic Analysis, Finite Element)
• Pavement Material Characterization (Asphalt, Concrete, Base Courses, Subgrades)
• Pavement Vehicle Loading (highway, aircraft, LRT, heavy construction equipment)
• Pavement Construction Methods (Material Production, Paving, Pavement Rehabilitation)
• Pavement forensics/research regarding pavement performance
• Interpreting Pavement Materials quality/process control data
• Proportioning and reviewing pavement mixes (Asphalt, Concrete, treated bases, stabilized subgrades)
• Analysis of pavement profile, falling weight deflectometer, ground penetrating radar, and pavement friction testing
- Absent an approved exemption, due to federal, state, local, provincial and/or client-requirements, this position requires an individual to be fully vaccinated by an FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine upon hire and as a condition of continued employment.
Base Compensation: $129,538 - $194,306
(Actual compensation is subject to variation due to such factors as education, experience, skillset, and/or location)
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.