**Current WGU employees must submit their application by 07/14/21 to be considered**
Senior R&D Software Engineer
Why we’re excited about you
You have a genuine interest and passion for technology, innovation and software engineering and are motivated by applying technology solutions to solve real-world problems. You enjoy coding in a fast paced agile environment and value a people-first team culture that fosters engagement and empowers innovation. You obsess over customers’ needs and are determined to leverage technology in new ways to improve their experience. As a Senior R&D Software Engineer, you will bring your vision to reality by leading it through inception to proof of concept and are comfortable documenting and handing off proven ideas to other software engineers.
Why you’re excited about us
You’ve read our mission and are eager to work with us to change our students’ lives. You want to be part of a diverse team and culture in a fast growing, industry-changing technology company. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and encourage employee development through continuous learning via training, certifications and conferences. We believe in our people and work tirelessly to support them and ensure their success both within their engineering roles and through career development. Our product team is based out of the Phoenix, AZ area or Salt Lake City, UT; however, we’ll consider highly qualified out-of-state candidates with a proven record of delivering results remotely.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the research, design and development of new technologies from idea to proof of concept. This includes conducting research on trends, investigating and learning new technologies, understanding strategic business drivers and problems to solve, developing proof of concepts.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Deliver high quality projects on time, through ability to design architecture, write high quality code, and execute effective testing methodologies necessary to deliver a Proof-of-Concept
- Lead in the prototyping and development of new technology and frameworks, improving the student & staff experience.
- Work well in self-managed and team-based Agile projects and provide technical guidance and leadership to other team members.
- Mentor/advise engineering teams on new technologies; act as a resident expert when needed.
- Develop younger engineers, conduct code reviews, mentoring, and pair programming.
- Participate and contribute towards improving development processes and best practices.
- Integrate third party products with existing infrastructure.
- Research, design, and develop computer software systems, in conjunction with hardware product development applying principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Analyze software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consult with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
- Develop and direct software system testing procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Ability to think outside the box and quickly acquire new technical skills as required.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Minimum of 5 years' experience and a proven track record in developing web-based software. Familiarity with REST, XML, JSON, and other common web technologies.
- Expertise in at least one of Java, Python, NodeJS, C#, .Net
- Experience working in a polyglot environment using modern programming languages.
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases, including MySQL and Oracle.
- Experience in the latest front-end technologies (HTML5, CSS3, Responsive Design, etc.) and frameworks (Angular/React)
- Experience with AWS or other Cloud based development, familiarity with containers and serverless technology.
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices to write high quality code
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with diverse personality types
Preferred Skills & Experience (optional):
- Experience with Machine Learning / AI and Big Data.
- Experience in game design, AR, VR and related technologies.
- Experience working in container orchestration platforms and related tooling (K8s, Docker, etc.)
- Experience working with open source projects as a committer or maintainer
- Experience in mobile development, including cross-platform tooling such as Flutter
- Experience working with blockchain technologies such as Hyperledger fabric or others.
- Experience working in Salesforce development