CAREER PROGRESSION ATTRIBUTES
Min $112,500/yr Max $137,500/yr
Bonus Target 17.5%
Bonus Target 17.5%
Equity Target 23%
A brief description summarizing the overall purpose and objectives of the position and the results the worker is expected to accomplish.
The Senior Tax Accountant will have primary responsibility for corporate income and indirect tax compliance.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position that are most important to get the job done.
- Responsible for preparation of federal and state tax workpapers supporting compliance and tax provision processes;
- Responsible for maintaining tax basis of oil and gas properties including analysis of acquisitions, computing tax gain/loss on divestures, trades and swaps, maintaining deferred tax gain/loss on qualifying IRS Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, working with external advisors on computation of tax depletion;
- Responsible for maintaining tax basis of fixed assets and tangible costs in SAP;
- Responsible for preparation and/or coordination of corporate income tax filings;
- Responsible for preparing quarterly income tax general ledger journal entries and reconciliations;
- Coordinating, working with and leveraging from external tax advisors;
- Establish, implement, and improve processes and controls for the corporate tax department;
- Ensures compliance with relevant Sarbanes-Oxley components
- Be responsible and take ownership of the use tax compliance process;
- Responsible for preparation of tax work-papers supporting the use tax returns;
- Ensure the timely filing and payment of the use tax returns;
- Responsible for monthly and/or quarterly closing process, including journal entry preparation and general ledger reconciliation;
- Develop, improve and streamline processes and procedures for use tax return compliance;
- Research indirect taxes, monitor sales tax system to ensure correct rates and tax rules are applied;
- Responsible for preparing and/or working with third party vendor on sales tax refund claims;
Ad Valorem Tax
- Be responsible and take ownership of the ad valorem tax compliance process for personal property;
- Responsible for preparation of tax work-papers supporting the Colorado Oil & Gas Declaration (NERF) return for multiple counties;
- Responsible for preparation of tax work-papers supporting various personal property tax returns for multiple counties in Colorado and Texas;
- Ensure timely filing and payments of all personal property ad valorem returns;
- Responsible for month end closing process, including journal entry preparation and general ledger reconciliation;
- Manage and maintain tax calendar;
- Manage all tax related notices, audits or inquiries (IRS, State Tax Authorities);
- Project manager and lead for escheat filings, audits and notices, including preparation of journal entries and general ledger reconciliation;
- Perform and assume other duties and responsibilities as may be required at the direction of the Senior Manager, Tax or CAO as needed for special projects;
- Ensure all corporate and normal business and ethical standards are closely adhered to and correct any deviations encountered and appropriate controls are administered;
- Demonstrate commitment to safety and environmental compliance in all job aspects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The specific minimum competencies required for job performance.
- Strong accounting, analytical, tax technical and problem-solving skills;
- Must possess a detailed knowledge of property maintenance and reconciliation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of management;
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, quality, and precision;
- Detail oriented professional with strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task and prioritize, work within time constraints;
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently;
- Works with purpose and a sense of urgency, deadline focused, and commitment driven.
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively and being resourceful;
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills;
- Advanced use of software such as SAP, CORPTAX or ONESOURCE
CAREER PROGRESSION ATTRIBUTES
The specific minimum attributes required at the designated Career Progression classification.
Support Services Professional 5
- Competency – Attained specialized knowledge in breadth and depth within discipline. Demonstrates expertise and has working knowledge of other specialty areas. Able to function as a leader within the department and is relied upon by colleagues, manager, and other departments.
- Responsibility – Posses advanced knowledge in professional discipline, gained from experience. Conducts complex studies and projects using advanced concepts.
- Problem Solving – Plans objectives and strategies of projects. Quickly and accurately identifies elements of projects, including aspects of cost savings and efficiency.
- Teaming – Acts as a resource to colleagues and as a mentor or supervisory to less experienced employees. Demonstrates initiative by actively advising and updating management and colleagues on departmental developments.
The scope of the person’s authority, including a list of jobs that report to the incumbent.
- May supervise tax accountants, tax interns on an as needed basis as well as coordinate the tax consulting work of independent third-party service providers.
The environment in which the job is performed, especially any unique conditions outside a normal office environment.
- Consistent with that of a normal office environment.
The minimum level of education, experience, and certifications required to perform the job.
- Expert incumbent typically possessing a minimum of 15 years job related experience and position specific skills. In addition, possessing a mastery of position skills, inter-departmental functions and cross-departmental knowledge;
- Minimum 3 years of progressive tax experience at a Big 4 or large regional Public Accounting firm;
- Minimum 3 years of progressive experience at an in-house tax department at a public company, preferably oil and gas company;
- Three years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry required
- Experience with fixed asset software, implementation is a plus;
- Experience with tax preparation software such as CORPTAX or Onesource, implementation is a plus;
- Bachelors of Science in Accounting, Finance or other relevant areas;
- CPA required.