Location(s): CO - Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Subject Matter Expert level provides detailed designs for most complex substation and transmission projects by producing new designs and revising existing designs. The designer is specialized in one or more of three technical areas: physical, control, or civil design, but capable of working in all three technical areas. The designer works in support of capital improvements, modifications and system reconfigurations completed by construction, operations, or maintenance. Assist with mentoring and training of Designers and provide backup leadership to the Design Manager.
* Efficiently and safely produces plan & profile drawings, route maps, sag charts, new designs for grading, grounding, foundations, structures, conduit plans, 3 lines, one-lines, ac and dc schematics, metering, relaying, controls, section views, or panel layouts.
* Provide leadership and direction to other designers, engineers, and field personnel. Assumes a lead in resolving design disagreements, developing standards, improving efficiencies, and creating a team atmosphere with a bias for action. Assist with mentoring and training of Designers and provide backup leadership to the Design Manager.
* Develops new design standards and modifies existing design standards to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective designs. Checks and reviews designs, design guides and standards by others (including consultants).
* Produce a list of materials required to complete the construction of the project.
* Coordinates project development, including equipment problems, scheduling, and design modifications required by project changes.
* Provide direction, perform inspection work, and maintain liaison with construction and/or contractor field construction personnel to ensure adequacy of design, quality of work, and compliance with plans and specifications.
* Effectively plan design activities, in accordance with the project teams plans, to assure projects are completed as scheduled.
* High School Diploma or GED. Min. of Assoc. Degree in one of the following fields of study: drafting, design, automation, electronics, mechatronics, engineering, GIS, other related field of study or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge. In lieu of an Assoc. Degree: a combination of education and experience in design/drafting, construction, project management, or electronics providing equivalent experience and knowledge. Must have at least 9 years of design experience or equivalent experience. Preferably 3 years as an Xcel Energy Sr. Designer.
* Subject matter expert in one or more of the following: GIS, design software, or work management programs. Subject matter expert of Transmission line design, Substation design, or Distribution design. Expert knowledge of construction standards, design standards, materials, and technical codes.
* Expert in Windows operating system and Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, etc.).
* Highly effective communication and innovative problem-solving skills - self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision. Driver's license may be required.
* Strong skills in Substation Controls schemes, equipment, wiring and a knowledge of Xcel Energy STED standards .
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Operations || 41404:Substation Eng Design || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $33.20 to $46.40 per hour
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 46898
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
EEO is the Law | EEO is the Law Supplement | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination | Equal Opportunity Policy (PDF) | Employee Rights (PDF)
Xcel Energy endeavors to make www.xcelenergy.com/ accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Xcel Energy Talent Acquisition at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Our Values: One Team Powered by Many
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Job Segment: Gas, Sustainability, Transmission Line, Drafting, Energy, Engineering