This position is only open to Colorado state residents.
This position is covered by the Partnership Agreement between the State of Colorado and Colorado Workers for Innovative and New Solutions (COWins).
New employees to the State will be paid biweekly. There are 26 biweekly pay periods in a year.
Do you want to make a difference in Coloradans' lives? Do you have a passion for helping people and keeping them safe? At the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), you'll have the opportunity to do just that. The work our people does contributes to keeping Coloradans and visitors safe and provides freedom, connection, and experience through travel. Please visit our careers page to learn about CDOT and how we are making Colorado a great place to live, work and play, now and for the future! Also, check out our excellent benefits package.
CDOT for All
CDOT's strength is our people, and our commitment to our people is to shape, support, and sustain the employee experience, and ultimately, create a supportive workplace where everyone, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, education, disability, socio-economic status, or any other identity, has the opportunity to thrive.
Some positions may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more information, go to studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service?
The eligible list created from this announcement may be used to fill one or more positions.
Description of Job
About the Work Unit
The Region 1 Central Program Local Agency Unit with the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) provides oversight of local agency projects under the Stewardship Agreement with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). It provides engineering expertise by overseeing projects that upgrade, construct, and reconstruct the highway and multi-modal systems using Federal and State dollars. This work includes review of plans, specifications and costs estimates for infrastructure improvements; draft and process intergovernmental-interagency contracts outlining Federal and/or State funding for local agency capital improvement project; manage the scope, schedule, and budgets of projects.
The Transportation Engineering Design Technician II position will assist in the supervision of local agency projects through the pre- construction phases of the project delivery cycle. This position assists in the review and analysis of Local Agency plans, specifications /standards and bid packages for compliance with State and Federal rules and regulations, and ensures the design is based on sound engineering, principles, and judgement.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Manage the scope, schedule, and budget for between 20-25 local agency projects as assigned;
* Maintain project and program management data in SAP;
* Coordinate, communicate, and provide guidance to justify changes to scopes schedules or budgets
* Oversee the development of plans, specifications, cost estimates (PS&E) and contract documents for local agency projects;
* Coordinate the review of plans and specifics with various specialty units within CDOT;
* Review design decisions for consistency with the approved scope and conformance with state and federal rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
* Coordinate project scoping, the field inspection review, and the final office review meetings;
* Conduct final quality control reviews of PS&E construction schedule and CDOT forms before submitting to FHWA for authorization:
* Assure that all reports, documentation, and plans are completed in accordance with state and federal requirements.
* Prepare the budget request. Review and approve reimbursement requests for local agency invoices and process for payment. Coordinate option letters and contract amendments.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Primarily 8:00 am - 5:00 pm work hours, Monday-Friday with the opportunity for a flex schedule
* Opportunity to work from home 1-3 days a week after training is completed
* Travel required during work hours throughout Metro Denver/Front Range
* Occasional overnight travel 1-3 times a year throughout Colorado
* Required to operate CDOT vehicles
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
* A high school diploma or GED:
* AND at least five (5) years of full-time work experience in transportation engineering in any combination of the following:
* designing construction plans, monitoring construction projects, conducting materials testing, inspecting local agency/utilities projects, or consultant management.
* Completion of business administration, construction management, drafting, engineering, engineering technology, project management or related coursework from an accredited, non-correspondence college or university may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required experience. If using this substitution, you must submit a transcript with your on-line application.
Please note: The required experience must be substantiated within the work experience section of your application. "See Resume" statements on the application or resumes in lieu of a complete application may not be accepted. Additional information submitted after the closing date of this announcement will not be considered in the review of your application. In addition, part-time work will be prorated.
Conditions of Employment
* Must pass a pre-employment screening which may include social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records check, educational records, and driving records checks. More information in the supplemental information section.
* A current valid driver license is required for all Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) positions which require operating a state or personal motor vehicle to perform one or more essential functions of the position.
The exceptional applicant will possess the proven ability or accomplishment in the following:
* Demonstrated success with the duties listed in the Description of the Job section
* Years of State service experience related to the duties of this position
* Highest work/personal ethics and integrity
* Comprehensive hands-on work experience in State and/or Local infrastructure improvement project delivery;
* Comprehensive hands-on experience working as a project manager / project coordinator on multiple projects simultaneously; managing quality, scope, cost, and schedules;
* Knowledge and experience with the CDOT Local Agency Manual, CDOT Project Development Manual, CDOT Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction, AASHTO Roadside Design Guide, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD);
* Ability to read and/or develop transportation engineering plans and specifications;
* Ability to communicate confidently and accurately, both verbally and in writing;
* Proven strong time management skills, including prioritization, multi-tasking ability and problem solving in a demanding environment;
* Experience working with the general public, public officials, consultants, and staff, with sensitivity to their needs, priorities, schedules, and commitments;
* Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, and customer service skills;
* Ability to work under tight deadlines and be adaptable to changing assignments;
* Excellent reasoning, investigative, analytical, and problem solving ability;
* Strong attention to technical detail and accuracy;
* Passion for safety;
* Ability to work effectively in both independent and team situations;
* Fluency in MS Word, MS Excel, Gmail, Google Suite, SAP, and the ability to quickly learn other software systems.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
* A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit online using the green 'APPLY' button at the top of this announcement)
* A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (The questionnaire is part of the online application. You will be prompted to answer them as you are completing your online application.)
* A cover letter that describes your interest in this position how your experience aligns with the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position. Cover letters must be uploaded as an attachment to your online application. Cover letters will not be accepted after the closing date and time of the announcement.
* A detailed chronological resume.
* If you are using education to qualify, a copy of your official or unofficial transcript showing that your degree has been conferred and the name of your school, or your NACES accreditation. Please submit this as an attachment to your online application.
* If you are a veteran, a copy of your DD214. Please submit this as an attachment to your online application.
Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this announcement will be given consideration. Every effort must be made to submit all application materials by the announcement close date. Where unusual circumstances prevent timely acquisition of transcripts, they must be submitted within five business days of the announcement close date. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Failure to submit properly completed documents by the closing date of this announcement may result in your application being rejected.
All correspondence regarding your status in the selection/examination process will be via email. Include your current working email address on your application and check your email frequently as you could receive time sensitive correspondence regarding this position. We highly recommend that you set up your email to accept messages from "state.co.us" and "firstname.lastname@example.org" addresses. It is your responsibility to ensure that your email will accept these notices and/or review your junk mail and spam filtered email. Immediately after you submit your application you should receive an email that confirms that you successfully submitted an application for this position. If you do not, try submitting again until you receive the confirmation email. Be sure to also check your junk folder for email communications from the State of Colorado's website.
The Hiring Process:
* All applications that are received by the closing of this announcement will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications in this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications proceed to the next step.
* Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative analysis process.
* Part of, or all of, the comparative analysis for this position may be a structured application review, which involves a review of the information you submit in your application materials by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) against the preferred qualifications.
* Be sure your application materials specifically addresses your qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments as they relate to the Major Duties, Minimum Qualifications, and Preferred Qualifications sections as listed above. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions by the deadline for application may result in your application not being accepted for this position and may affect your inclusion as a qualified candidate in any step of the selection process and placement on the eligible list.
* A top group, up to six candidates, will be invited to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.
Transfer, Non-Disciplinary Demotion or Reinstatement
If you believe that you are eligible to be considered as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement to this vacancy, you must submit a completed application following the directions in this job announcement and you will be included in the selection process along with other qualified applicants. If you are the finalist for this position after the selection process, Human Resources will confirm your eligibility to be appointed as a transfer, non-disciplinary demotion or reinstatement applicant.
If an applicant reaches the finalist stage of the hiring process, the Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the employment screening an applicant will be requested to disclose any deferred judgments and convictions as well as an explanation of the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the information with "Info Cubic".
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode of living. The information that may be included in the report includes: social security number trace, criminal records check, public court records checks, educational records, and driving records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying. The information contained in the report will be obtained from private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope of any investigative consumer report.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for this position, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board or request a review by the State Personnel Director.
An appeal or review must be submitted on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative. This form must be delivered to the State Personnel Board by email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]), postmarked in US Mail or hand delivered (1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver CO 80203), or faxed (303.866.5038) within ten (10) calendar days from your receipt of notice or acknowledgement of the department's action.
For more information about the appeals process, the official appeal form, and how to deliver it to the State Personnel Board; go to spb.colorado.gov; contact the State Personnel Board for assistance at (303) 866-3300; or refer to 4 Colorado Code of Regulations (CCR) 801-1, State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, Chapter 8, Resolution of Appeals and Disputes, at spb.colorado.gov under Rules.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Discrimination and/or harassment against any person is prohibited because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran's status, marital status, gender identity or any other protected class recognized under the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act (CADA). This applies to all employment decisions.
CDOT is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to Amanda Parkhurst-Strout at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or call 303-757-9685.
Former employees of the Colorado Department of Transportation System or any other State of Colorado Department or Agency, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information on his/her application.
APS (SAP #50135743/PCR #48206)