No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions. And you'll do your life's best work.(sm)
This position is responsible for the overall leadership of the Supplier Risk and Performance Management across UnitedHealth Group, United Healthcare, and Optum. This position will be responsible for maintaining the vision, defining the strategy, and executing these center-led programs centrally. The successful candidate must comfortably interface at the executive leadership level and partner with business and functional stakeholders across UnitedHealth Group’s 330k+ person strong workforce to continue building and then stabilizing a world-class leader in Third-Party Supplier Risk and Performance Management.
This position reports into the Head of Enterprise Sourcing and Procurement (ES&P) and will be a key member of the ES&P Leadership Team. The successful candidate will have prior experience leading third-party supplier risk management in a regulated industry and is excited to lead within an organization that values innovation, relationships, and performance.
- Lead the transformation, evolution, and execution for:
- Supplier Risk Management – assess, document, and mitigate/resolve regulatory, compliance, and cybersecurity risk across UHG’s supplier bas
- Supplier Performance Management – document, measure, enforce, and improve supplier quality, delivery, and service levels
- Set clear objectives, metric-driven goals & deliverables; report progress and performance to executive leadership and ensure strategy execution to achieve goals and organizational priorities.
- Oversee a geographically dispersed team and foster a high-performing team environment, focused on employee engagement, performance, and development.
- Evaluate key data sources to inform program decisions; analyze and use the data to create growth strategies and/or identify program improvements.
- Develop innovative approaches to training and development to further empower and prepare ES&P team members to ensure supplier risk and performance management controls into the supplier selection and contracting process.
- Represent the function externally to customers, regulators, auditors, and professional organizations, sales teams and other business leaders to drive customer acquisition and retention.
- Manage policies and standards to ensure regulatory compliance, consistency with UHG’s values and principles, and alignment with business priorities. Monitor compliance against policies and standards through preventative controls, detective controls, and data/reporting to executive leadership.
- Accountable for supporting technology/tools and ongoing enhancements to maintain and outpace market standards.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships and partnerships with category managers, line of business leaders, key stakeholders, business-line Supplier Management Offices, and suppliers. Share ownership and accountability for driving and delivering results.
- Bachelor’s OR equivalent work experience. Master’s/MBA preferred
- 7+ years (10+ years preferred) with progressive experience developing and leading a Third-Party Supplier Risk Management function (preferably in a regulated industry) with some oversight of supplier performance management preferred
- Track record of stakeholder management and influencing outcomes
- Ability to lead global team with team members and stakeholders in North America, LATAM, APAC, and Europe and drive outcomes across borders/cultures
- Advanced supplier contracting expertise with deep understanding for buy-side contract requirements, legal concepts/document structure, and cybersecurity provisions.
- Experience leading large teams with focus on continual employee skill and career development
- Background leading and innovating governance processes to maximize efficiency and automation.
- Candidate must be open to 10%+ travel
- Executive presence with both written and verbal communication abilities across all audiences
- Ability to work collaboratively, accounting for various viewpoints and, at times, competing priorities
- Strategic and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (both written and verbal), ability to effectively present at senior executive level. Experience influencing others to adopt practices and processes.
- Ability to lead complex strategic projects in a cross functional team environment, with proven ability to influence, inspire and engage others to action
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, prioritize multiple projects and adjust work accordingly, often against tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to follow-through and meet commitments effectively and efficiently.
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow.
Already Fortune 5, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Supplier, Procurement, Supply Chain, Risk Management, Quality, Compliance, Leader, VP, Minnetonka, Minneapolis, MN