The Vice President of Finance is responsible for the development and maintenance of the Company’s short-term financial forecasting models, the development and oversight of the Company’s capital and operating budget, day to day treasury functions, as well as the management of the investor relations function. Additionally, the VP of Finance demonstrates a strong understanding of Accounting and Taxes, thus complementing the overall ability to strategically forecast for PDC.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position that are most important to get the job done.
- Assist in establishing and implementing short- and long- range financial goals, objectives, policies, and procedures;
- Actively participate in financial forecasting and budgeting activities for the Company, its affiliates and individual transactions being considered;
- Oversee the investor relations program, including strategy, budget and the detailed execution of the IR operating plan;
- Direct strategic investor relations communications and messaging pertaining to emergent company issues and activities;
- Provide counsel and advice to other senior leaders regarding investor relations strategies;
- Oversee and forecast the Company’s liquidity or cash flow positions, strategically manage financing strategies, maintain banking relationships, lead or oversee equity or debt financing deals, and oversee the company’s credit monitoring policies and strategies;
- Manage the annual budget with complete income statement, balance sheet & statement of cash flows;
- Develop and maintain an annual capital and operating budgeting and periodic internal reporting process interfacing with both corporate and field personnel at all levels;
- Prepare monthly forecasts to support Executive management’s strategic planning efforts and periodic evaluation of pending business arrangements, acquisitions of operating properties or companies, etc;
- Prepare and/or assist the preparation of an annual general and administrative budget for the corporate departments such as Accounting, Finance, IT, HR, etc.;
- Oversee the Corporate insurance programs;
- Assist in the annual external audit including all subsidiaries;
- Review the preparation of external financial statements in accordance with GAAP and SEC regulations;
- Evaluate reports and continually evaluate and enhance financial reports to provide management with information to assist them in making business decisions;
- Assist in establishing and maintaining internal and operational controls necessary to monitor performance and comply with Sarbanes-Oxley 404;
- Consult with PDC leadership on accounting & reporting aspects of new lending arrangements or acquisition agreements;
- Continually seek opportunities for improvements;
- Be proactive in providing strategic insight, solutions and leadership;
- Assist with other corporate needs requested by the executive management team;
- Perform other finance and business related projects as assigned by the CFO;
- Demonstrates commitment to safety and environmental compliance in all job aspects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The specific minimum competencies required for job performance.
- Must demonstrate strong leadership skills, the ability to creatively think through complicated problems in a strategic manner, and the ability to implement strategic and tactical solutions with and through people;
- Must have demonstrated well-honed business skills; a willingness to accept and assign accountability and responsibility; and the ability to establish clear, consistent objectives and deliver measurable results and positive impact;
- Previous successful experience with coaching, mentoring and managing finance or accounting personnel;
- Acts ethically, with complete integrity and honesty; possesses a strong work ethic and demands high professional standards of self and others;
- Works with purpose and a sense of urgency, is deadline focused and commitment driven;
- Identifies priorities, problems and opportunities; quickly elicits cooperation for solutions in a positive and proactive manner;
- Ability to work within, build and lead teams of subordinates, outside advisors and co- workers;
- Abilities of self-sufficiency and self-assurance to work in a growing and evolving function;
- Advanced knowledge of financial processes, internal control considerations, and Financial Planning techniques a must;
- Clarity of communication, both written and oral, to small and large groups including Executive staff;
- Ability to clearly present financial concepts to non-financial groups;
- Strong presentation and project management skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a deadline oriented function.
CAREER PROGRESSION ATTRIBUTES
The specific minimum attributes required at the designated Career Progression classification.
- Competency – Provides visionary corporate leadership. Responsible for pure alignment of departmental strategy to the corporate vision. Proven ability to anticipate trends. Leads department through effective oversight in conjunction with Director(s) and Manager(s). Proficient public speaker both internally and externally.
- Responsibility – Continuously evaluates, maintains, and enhances department’s overall performance and reputation. Transforms company efficiencies through departmental improvements. Ensures successful outcomes of career progression and succession planning. Effectively interacts with SMT and Board of Directors.
- Problem Solving – Highly effective at gaining consensus. Proactively anticipates, evaluates, and prioritizes corporate and departmental issues and their long-range impact.
- Teaming – Creates a culture of teamwork that empowers the company to operate at peak efficiency. Achieves maximum results in a collaborative manner by determining when to lead and when to listen.
The scope of the person’s authority, including a list of jobs that report to the incumbent.
- This position has several direct reports in addition to leading the overall Finance team.
The environment in which the job is performed, especially any unique conditions outside a normal office environment.
- Primarily normal office environment conditions;
- Travel between corporate office, field offices and IR/Bank Meetings is required.
The minimum level of education, experience, and certifications required to perform the job.
- Distinguished incumbent exhibiting extensive knowledge and leadership skills within area of expertise and broadly in other business functions. Sets direction of department strategy and is expected to influence cross department and corporate visions;
- 12+ years’ minimum experience leading a corporate finance team including experience in a GAAP and SEC reporting environment;
- Public Company experience preferred;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related major;
- Prior executive level management experience in a corporate finance or accounting function;
- CPA certification plus;
- Master’s Degree or MBA plus.