The VP of Treasury and Finance will play an integral role in shaping the capital structures for the Company, creating new, innovative solutions for the financing of healthcare, life sciences and senior living real estate. Capital Markets is a core function, responsible for securing the financing of real estate development and core and value-add acquisitions under the most favorable terms in the industry. Responsibilities include structuring, negotiating, and closing various project-level loans from banks, debt funds, the CTL/bond market, and other sources, working with and finding new institutional and high net worth capital sources, and helping with the structuring and operational aspects of real estate funds and joint ventures to drive growth and new business across the platform.
Reports to the Chief Financial Officer in the Company’s Denver, Colorado headquarters
- Develop a deep understanding of each of the Company’s business lines, strategies, and goals; market the Company and its projects to new and existing debt and equity sources, and create financial strategies and products to meet or exceed Company objectives
- Continuously research, create, and evaluate new financing alternatives to make the Company more competitive and to accelerate and exceed performance, such as through the creation of one or more real estate funds, aligning with broker-dealers to co-sponsor investments, evaluating the merits of retail vs. institutional money, utilizing and structuring new preferred and common equity joint ventures, taxable and/or tax-exempt bond financings, debt funds, mezzanine debt, PACE financings, credit tenant lease structures, New Market Tax Credits, financial derivatives, foreign capital, etc.
- Lead day-to-day initiatives including managing a portion of the Company’s existing and new capital relationships, negotiation of documents in partnership with internal and/or external counsel, problem solving, and timely closings
- Lead a portion of the Company’s senior debt financings by creating new lender relationships, negotiating transactions, reading documentation, and overseeing closings
- Take ownership of maintaining, organizing, and growing the Company’s debt and equity provider database
- Proactively oversee the forecasting of lender covenants; negotiate waivers and loan amendments as needed
- Attend conferences and other industry events, leverage existing and new relationships, set up lender and investor meetings, utilize Company Research Department, etc. to continually expand capital relationships
- Build relationships with divisional heads, project managers, analysts, and other colleagues to provide guidance, key assumptions and inputs to structure development and acquisition pro formas
- Oversee creation of debt, equity and fund marketing materials and legal documents
- Assist with ad hoc projects and requests within the finance department as needed
- Lead, mentor, teach, coach, and collaborate with teammates in finance and other departments
- Alignment with NexCore’s Core Values of:
- INTENSITY: We value collaboration in teams and exceptional individual performance where our teammates show up every minute of every day with 110%
- INNOVATION: we are committed to entrepreneurial thinking, disruptive innovation, and an openness to lead and shape the future.
- IMPROVEMENT: We support continuous improvement through ongoing education, creativity, collaboration and acknowledging and learning from our mistakes.
- INTEGRITY: We conduct all our interactions with honesty, integrity, compassion, and respect.
- INVESTMENT: We invest our resources to support sustainable growth for our owners, clients, teammates, residents, and communities
- INCLUSIVITY: We encourage diversity and infuse our passion for winning to create exceptional outcomes and demonstratable success for our stakeholders
- Bachelor's Degree in Real Estate, Finance, Economics, or Business; MBA and/or CFA desirable
- 5+ years of relevant real estate development industry experience in managing finance, private equity, capital placement, or real estate debt and equity roles with broad understanding of capital markets, funding strategies, and structured products
- Healthcare, life sciences and/or senior living real estate experience
- Existing institutional and high net worth relationships within the real estate industry is preferred
- A strong negotiator with a willingness to seek aggressive financing terms, while creating win-win outcomes and relationships
- A balanced skillset between marketing/sales, negotiation, and structuring, and being a successful closer
- Excitement about working in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to see the broader corporate strategy, while having acute attention to detail
- Effective communication and people skills; respectful of others at all levels
- An ongoing sense of urgency and the ability to manage multiple projects
- Eagerness to take ownership and independently drive projects to completion