Job Title- Vision Technician
Pay Range: $15.00-$16.00
Hero is a practice management company focused on delivering the systems, processes, and people needed to efficiently deliver quality dental, vision, and orthodontic care to children in underserved communities. With 26 offices across seven states, we have helped over a million children, ages six months through 20 years, gain access to the care they need since 2006. Working at Hero is both a career and a calling…join us, BE A HERO!
Serving the needs of the Medicaid population requires a well-oiled machine. Our fast-paced, high volume offices require smart scheduling, effective patient communications, tested processes, and dedicated, well-trained personnel. The Hero team knows what it takes to provide quality dental, vision, and orthodontic care under one roof. We are looking to create long-term relationships with the children and families we serve, and to achieve that goal; we are dedicated to providing our team with the support, compensation, and lifestyle they need for career happiness.
Navigating the healthcare system can be a challenge for the families we serve. At Hero, we make it easy and enjoyable for parents to get regular vision, dental, and orthodontic care for their children. Our kid-friendly offices take the fear out of dental visits, and all our staff is trained to put both children and parents at ease. From scheduling to payments, eyewear selection to orthodontics, we make it fun, easy, and affordable for children to thrive.
To be the leading provider of high-quality and compassionate dental, vision, and orthodontic services to children in underserved communities.
Outcome of the Role
The Vision Technician’s role is to ensure a positive first impression by efficiently executing administrative as well as optometric duties to positively maximize each patients’ entire visit within the Vision department of our practices.
The outcome of this role is achieved by following Hero Core Values:
Integrity - Doing what is right for our patients, our teammates, and our company. Upholding moral principles and trustworthy actions.
• Be in compliance with all laws governing our company (e.g., HIPAA)
• Maintain patient confidentiality
• Always do the right thing—even when no one is watching
• Understand, monitor, and ensure the smooth execution of office processes, including but not limited to, understand coding and optometric materials as well as verifying insurance benefits, patient collection, and documentation
• Support the organization’s goals and values, supporting affirmative action, respecting diversity, and adhering to state and federal guidelines
Mission Driven - Focused on delivering high quality, compassionate healthcare through your daily activities in efforts to better the community we service.
• Establish clear expectations for teammates around desired patient experience and respond promptly to customers’ needs by greeting and setting up a friendly relationship with patients upon arrival and scheduling appointments
• Call patients regarding appointment confirmations, reminders, cancellations, no shows and recalls
• Passionate about enabling our teams to deliver high-quality care and service
• Accurately and correctly collect patient information, medical information, process patient payments during check-in and check-out
Patient First - Evaluating our level of service and quality to the people we serve, putting what’s best for our patients above all else.
• Review patient and family health needs to ensure all needs are met
• Accompany patients and parents during exams to pre-test the patient and assist Optometrist in scribing and finding a good fit for glasses for the patient.
• Strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both internal and external customers
Accountability - Taking responsibility for meeting our commitment and taking ownership of our results.
• Complete administrative tasks correctly and on time
• Possesses an ability to work on multiple projects, problems or tasks at once
• Coordinate with vision team members to monitor patient flow and schedule
Compassion - Having the insight and vision to see others and help them along the journey of awareness, courage, confidence, and joy. Seeing people as humans and assuming positive intent.
• Support a non-judgmental environment for patients and their families
• Demonstrate a sense of cohesion within the practice that fosters teammate dependability and support by listening carefully to others, and encouraging teammates’ growth
• Collaborate with others to provide and understand vision and inspiration to peers by displaying passion and optimism
• Remain open to others’ ideas and being able to work in a fast-paced environment with different personalities
Teamwork - Acting as a contributing teammate to those you work with, striving for common culture and goals. Supporting one another to achieve the mission and seeing opportunity in yourself and others to develop and grow.
• Report to work as scheduled and ready to work
• Collaborate with others to provide high-quality care and experience for our patients and their families
• Place team above self, doing whatever it takes to make the broader organization win
• Work well with members of Hero’s leadership team in pursuit of the company’s goals
• High school diploma or GED
• One year of administrative and customer service experience
• Optometric experience preferred, but will fully train
• Bilingual required
• Demonstrates attention to detail and ability to handle a diverse workload
• Exhibits strong interpersonal skills, listening to patients’ needs and possesses a friendly and outgoing demeanor
• Order processing systems, Google Docs, Document Portal Spreadsheet software and must be proficient at using Microsoft Word and Excel
This position requires full range of body motion. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to handle or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and lift up to 25 pounds.
Work is performed in a standard vision clinic. This role routinely utilizes standard office equipment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The statements contained herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by Vision Technicians, but is not a complete list of the responsibilities, duties, or skills required. Other duties may be assigned as business needs dictate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Hero Practice Services group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary and Benefits
Full-time, Non-exempt position. Competitive compensation and benefits package.