Vicente Sederberg LLP is not just a law firm that decided to jump into the cannabis space. We are a cannabis law firm, and we have been at the leading edge of cannabis law and policy since the inception of the regulated cannabis industry. We do not just help clients navigate cannabis and hemp laws and regulations — we help shape those policies, and we have an unparalleled track record of advancing the legal cannabis industry in a dynamic and responsible manner. As Rolling Stone magazine put it, VS is "the country's first powerhouse marijuana law firm."
Our firm and many of our individual team members are widely recognized as leaders in cannabis law and policy. VS is ranked a Band 1 law firm by Chambers and Partners USA in its "Nationwide: Cannabis Law" practice category and five of the firm's partners are individually ranked. And VS received the inaugural award for "Law Firm of the Year - Cannabis Law" at the Chambers USA Awards 2022. Five VS partners were included in the National Law Journal's annual list of "Cannabis Law Trailblazers" in the first two years it was published, and Business Insider named VS one of "the top 7 law firms in cannabis, according to investors, startups and major companies in the booming industry." We were also included in the 2020 list of "Top Cannabis Law Firms" compiled by the Green Market Report and Cannabis Law Report.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) develops and implements effective strategies to nurture new and existing client relationships, upholds and advances the firm's reputation, and ensures the firm provides support and value to the cannabis, hemp, and entheogens communities.
The BDM assists with client services in all stages of the client lifecycle; works with Marketing Director and Partners to find ways to add value to the client experience; produces and executes firm-hosted events; ensures the success of expansion into new markets and practice groups; identifies and reports on opportunities for cross-selling; provides training opportunities for the attorneys; promotes the VS brand, culture, and supports the promotion of thought leadership.
Through its efforts in client services, marketing and promotion, and growth and development, the BDM ensures that members of the firm deliver an exceptional client experience, resulting in increased referrals and grassroots marketing, expanded national and international recognition, and overall gains in revenue.
Vicente Sederberg offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance coverages 100% paid for by Vicente Sederberg for all our full-time employees and their dependents. Life, AD&D, Short Term, and Long-Term Disability Insurance coverages are paid 100% for all our full-time employees. We also offer a 401k with a 4% company match, paid time off, and paid parental leave.
Vicente Sederberg is a team that values the diversity of all stripes. We warmly welcome individuals to our team from all different backgrounds and promote an accepting culture and environment. We especially strive to include those who have been historically disadvantaged.
Applicants should be in Denver, CO, or the New York Metro Area.
- Assist in the Partner's efforts to nurture and grow client relationships.
- Develop a pipeline to track stages of the client lifecycle
- When appropriate, assist Marketing Director with a client feedback program, interpreting the data and reporting to Marketing Director for presentation to senior leadership.
- Oversee budget and delivery of client gifts, including creating and working with marketing to implement a client appreciation program
- Research and forecast trends in the legal industry; create and report on competitive intelligence programs
- Develop a firm-wide cross-selling initiative, report on findings, and create a plan to act on the data
MARKETING AND PROMOTION
- All tasks are done in partnership with the Marketing Department.
- Coordinate with Marketing Manager to create and maintain pitch packet and RFP response templates, and attorney bios
- Produce and execute events that promote the VS brand, culture, and/or expertise; educate the community
- Facilitate fundraising for political candidates, legalization campaigns, and causes that align with the firm's strategic plan
- Attend industry events and promote the firm; make introductions
- Seek out strategic sponsorships to aid the expansion plan
- Support drip campaign for outreach to webinar registrants and pre-PNCs
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
- These tasks are done in partnership with departments managing intake, research, and finance.
- Create and maintain a client business development tracking spreadsheet
- Maintain knowledge lists, such as referrals, deal tracker
- Research industry trends and events; identify and develop new business opportunities and strategic partnerships
- Ensure proactive pursuit of referrals
- Determine whether KPIs are being met by the firm and identify opportunities for improvement
- Measure quarterly and annual financial gain, lead conversion, and client retention in relation to networking, marketing, speaking engagements, referrals
- Assist in maintaining CRM database. This includes the intake and processing of client contact data. Analyze the growth of contact list, mailing list, social media & SEO engagement
- Coach attorneys on lead development, pitch preparation, follow up
- Work with Marketing Manager to oversee consistency of pitch materials, manage the pitch packet/RFP response process, and ensure they are supportive of the firm's sales efforts
- Support diversity and inclusiveness in the firm's marketing materials, pitches, and website. When necessary, track these efforts.
- Collaborate with finance to use firm data and technologies to inform on sales and client development activities.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications, or Business Administration
- Ability to manage complex projects and multi-task
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty
- Experience with marketing, and facilitating and executing events
- Experience with computers, scanners, printers, and conference equipment
- Experience with the cannabis industry preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Google, webinar and conferencing software preferred
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with clients, the public, and individuals at all levels of the organization in a positive, collaborative manner
- Exceptional organizational skills, strong self-motivator with high attention to detail
- Excellent time and deadline management skills in a fast-paced environment, able to juggle multiple projects and reprioritize quickly and efficiently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including familiarity with common legal terminology
- Must be able to uphold the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality and exercise good judgment on a day-to-day basis
Job Environment and Conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The position requires the employee to frequently sit and operate a computer and telephone with the ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you and to understand the speech of another person.
- General indoor office conditions in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Low noise levels that can increase to moderate during group discussion and/or operation of basic office equipment such as copiers or printers.
Qualified applicants, please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Vicente Sederberg LLP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
We comply with federal and state disability laws and make reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodation in the job application or interview process, please contact [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
Business Development Manager Job Functions Disclaimer
The above statement reflects the general functions of this job and shall not be interpreted as a detailed description of all the work requirements inherent in this role. The immediate supervisor may expand upon the above list if it is determined that additional duties fall within the partners' scope of responsibility.
This role can be performed from our New York or Colorado office. The pay range for this position is $77,000 - $86,000 /yr; however, the base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This position is eligible for an annual bonus based on individual performance in addition to a full range of benefits outlined in the job description. Base pay information is based on the market location. Applicants should apply via www.vicentesederberg.com/careers.