Sierra Space is expanding our executive leadership team and looking for a Chief Technology Officer to lead the ideation and development of innovative and differentiating technical and engineering solutions that support commercial and civil space pursuits.
Be part of history and join the Sierra Space team-helping humanity create civilizations beyond Earth! Sierra Space is an innovative tech company on a quest to make space more accessible for everyone and create a vibrant low-Earth orbit (LEO) economy where people and businesses are living and working in space, regularly.
Our space products and programs are totally different and going to be disruptors for how humans and businesses utilize, travel and work in space. We believe regular space travel can’t happen without a spaceplane. The Dream Chaser spaceplane is the preferred form of space travel with its runway landing and flexibility to land anywhere in the world. Dream Chaser opens up space travel in ways the world has never seen before. Our modular, flexible home and workspace, the expandable LIFE habitat is suitable for LEO, lunar living, or Mars. It’s game-changing technology and will revolutionize space exploration.
As Chief Technology Officer, you will:
- Develop vision, strategic plan, and short-term and long-term goals for our technical business objectives; lead Business Area leaders in formulating, maintaining, and updating product and technology roadmaps consistent with Sierra Space and the business unit strategic objectives
- Work synergistically with business development leadership and capture leads to provide technical support to new and continuing pursuits and proposals; provides oversight and leadership during the capture phase of a program
- Maintain oversight of all technical matters in support of the ITCO and the exportability, technical determination and release ability of their business areas products and services
- Support pursuing new technology program opportunities with other customers/partners
- Support the convergence on the correct technical solution for the each program opportunity
- Assess competitors’ technologies and technical capabilities
- Provide oversight of the preparation of white papers, ROMs and responses to customer requests for information in support of business development
- Plan and coordinate the execution of new technology development into new business / product pursuits
- Responsible for the business area and unit Internal Research and Development (IRaD) planning, budgeting and IRaD program prioritization
- Provide oversight of IRaD programs to assure the program team achieves the desired program objectives
- Work across the enterprise with the other business areas to avoid duplication of IRaDs and finding synergies between business areas technologies
- Support the VP of Business Development return on investment (ROI) analysis of the business area’s strategic products and programs
- Oversee patent and intellectual property portfolio (joint responsibility with SNC legal) - Responsibilities include identifying new patent opportunities, supporting the patent preparation and submission process and providing input and recommendation on the maintenance of existing patents
- Research, identify, and provide assessments of any business area potential technology acquisitions
- Support and provide independent programs peer reviews internal and external to business area
- Attend and support the quarterly VP BD/Technology meetings
- Provide a professional public presence
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Engineering, or related field
- 15+ years’ experience in aerospace industry, Department of Defense and/or NASA
- 2+ years’ experience at a commercial space business
- Experience in human spaceflight, either launch or orbital
- Excellent customer relations skills at a senior level
- Frequent and experienced speaker at aerospace conferences
- Familiarity with commercial space financing
- Knowledge, industry relationships and a high degree of technical and technology competence as well as business and management experience in the Federal Government contracting space
- Broad knowledge of Engineering, Business Development, Operations, Quality Assurance, Manufacturing methods, and organizational structure
- Experience managing IRAD projects
- Ability to travel to other aerospace and customer locations
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret with SCI Eligibility U.S. Security Clearance is required
- PhD in related technology field
- Experience with National Security Space
- Participation in mergers and acquisitions, and/or commercial fundraising
- Active Top Secret with SCI Eligibility U.S. Security Clearance
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret with SCI eligibility U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-U.S. Citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the U.S., foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $316,010.37 - $434,514.25
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.