Reporting to the Vice President of Technology Policy, the Director of Technology Planning focuses on a changing set of technology-related public policy issues currently facing Spectrum, , such as broadband access and adoption, cybersecurity, voice and video issues, wireless spectrum, and energy efficiency, among other matters. The position acts as a bridge between Spectrum’s Product & Technology Group and the Government Affairs office in Washington, and is a tremendous opportunity to influence the success of one of the nation’s largest communications service providers.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Remain current on the technology policy issues facing the cable and telecom industries to advise our policy staff on positions Charter should take in conjunction with other telecommunication industry leaders.
- Responsible for understanding regulatory and legislative proposals within the telecom industry, and how they intersect with Charter’s technologies and services.
- Enable the business to navigate the range of policy and regulatory issues facing the provision of communications services, with knowledge of the technologies used to provide these services, and how regulatory frameworks impact them. Identify risks and opportunities for Charter in addressing or evolving these requirements, make recommendations, and work with business units across the company to develop plans.
- Understand the technical methods and technology policies used to advance the performance and reach of communications networks. This includes understanding communications network technologies and architectures, broadband access options and providers, and the technologies, economics, and policies that influence Charter’s success in providing connectivity services.
- Work with Engineering and Government Affairs teams to ensure that Charter’s network evolution plans will be compatible with laws and regulations network deployment. Understand and make recommendations pertaining to legacy and emerging technologies.
- Enable the Engineering and Government Affairs teams to address an evolving set of technology policy issues and initiatives, particularly those that have a substantial technology dependency, such as wireless spectrum, broadband, cybersecurity, energy efficiency, privacy, and other matters.
- Responsible for monitoring deliverables and updating status for key programs, projects and strategic initiatives, ensuring consistency and completing on time.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
Strong knowledge of the telecommunications industry.
In-depth knowledge of communications technologies.
Telecommunications-focused public policy experience and interest.
Ability to work collaboratively across functions.
Ability to communicate orally and written in a clear, straightforward manner to all levels of organization as well as in public forums and with technical partners and agencies.
Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
Strong analytical skills.
Ability to matrix manage across corporate functions and the field.
Knowledge and curiosity of digital media consumption landscape.
Understanding of the multimedia and Pay-tv content threat landscape is important.
Strong critical thinking, questioning, and listening skills and excellent attention to detail.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, business administration, public policy or equivalent; master’s degree in these fields or a law degree is preferred.
Related Work Experience / Number of Years
Telecom Industry / 7+
Leadership experience / 3+
Office / remote environment (hybrid)
IGN706 310702 310702BR
Here, employees don’t just have jobs, they build careers. That’s why we believe in offering a comprehensive pay and benefits package that rewards employees for their contributions to our success, supports all aspects of their well-being, and delivers real value at every stage of life.
The pay for this position has a salary range of $135,300.00 to $239,500.00. The actual salary offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, experience and location. Also, certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses.