New Leaf Family
Experienced Colorado Family Law Paralegal
This is not your typical paralegal position. For the right candidate, it will be an amazing opportunity. Are you up to the task?
About you: Excellent organizational skills. Detail-oriented. Flawless English grammar/spelling. Comfortable with technology and standard office software. Nice. Spanish bilingual is a plus!
About the job: Positive working environment, with home-based option. We are fairly tech-forward, which gives our team great flexibility, but requires proficiency and comfort in working with good technology. We have high expectations for quality of work and give high rewards for true value-added.
About the firm:
There is a better way to handle family and relationship conflicts.
That is the premise of our firm. If you agree, you may want to read on!
The firm's mission is to empower our clients to make the best decisions they can for themselves and their families in times of family conflict or transition, and then to assist them in the transition in a positive manner. We emphasize growth over conflict. We help our clients move toward a new life, not just flee the one they're in.
We practice in family law, but this is not a typical family law firm. The work you do will directly contribute to work that helps clients in very real ways.
The founders believe that:
- There is a better way to handle family conflict.
- Each client is best suited to determine what he/she wants in the next chapter of their life.
- We can better serve clients by helping them build the future that they want, instead of imposing the "traditional" family law solutions.
- The members of our team thrive in an environment focused on empowering our clients.
And we are hiring.
We are looking for family law paralegals, with experience, who would like to work with a team that believes as we do, who want to reduce the attorney-induced drama and needless escalation of conflict and focus instead on building a future with and for clients.
The system as practiced in many firms seems designed to wear down the clients, the attorneys and personnel. There is a better way of doing things, so that the balance, most days, have you feeling awesome about how much you are positively affecting people's lives. We can't eliminate the tough days ... we're not magicians ... but we are on a mission, and that makes it a lot more fun!
To be a good fit for this role, you should be someone who is looking for an opportunity to focus on helping people navigate the biggest decisions they will face in their lives: changes in their families. Whether divorce, separation, custody, parenting time, visitation, or other family changes, disputes, or crises, you want to help them reach the best outcome that is consistent with their values.
We need you to be proficient in Colorado family Law practice and procedure. At the same time, we want you to not be "set in your ways," or wedded to "the way things have always been done." You should be an optimist, and a realist, at the same time.
We need you to be creative and able to think outside the box, while also adhering to the established parameters of law and court procedure.
You are committed, above all, and in everything we do, to an excellent experience for clients.
If you're still reading this, and believe this might be a role for you, let me tell you about us. We have a family law practice serving the greater Denver area.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Help lawyers prepare for trial by preparing and organizing exhibits, assisting with client meetings, filing motions, conducting research on legal articles, and organizing and coordinating witnesses
- Perform administrative duties such as answering phone calls and keeping our case filing system organized so all documents are readily accessible
- Draft subpoenas and coordinate with process servers
- Draft legal documents, pleadings, and correspondence such as interrogatories, subpoenas, deposition notices, complaints, pretrial orders, legal briefs, and affidavits under the guidance of a lawyer
- Hold client interviews to gather information about their legal problems
- Assist lawyers in preparing legal documentation, pleadings, and correspondence including correspondence such as interrogatories, subpoenas, deposition notices, complaints, pretrial orders, legal briefs, and affidavits
- Work with lawyers to prepare for trial by conducting research on legal articles, preparing and organizing exhibits, organizing and coordinating witnesses, filing motions, and assisting with client meetings
- Proficiency with Colorado Courts E-Filing
- Manage deadlines and case dockets to make sure everything is running on time
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and talent for writing and grammar
- Should love good technology!
- Candidates should possess high-level organizational skills and time-management skills
- At least 3 years of experience in legal services under an attorney or lawyer in a law firm setting
- Know Colorado Family Law procedure, in your sleep
- Proficient and efficient and getting Sworn Financial Statements done, on time
$50,000 - $65,000 DOE
About New Leaf Family
New Leaf Family is a law firm, yes. But we do things ... differently.
We are focused on empowering our clients to resolve their family conflict problems. We exist to help them understand the future they want to build, and then using our skills and experience to help them plan their path, and to help them implement it.
We understand that our clients don't come to us with legal problems. They are experiencing personal conflict. Yes, their problems likely have an intersection with the law, which is why we're the right team to help them. But that isn't the totality of their problem ... so its not the end of how we serve our clients.
We began our work in Family Law in 2004, and we believe that that serving our clients means understanding their needs before, engaging in any legal process. Our clients team up with us to build their futures ... and we take that responsibility very seriously.