If you are located in the Minnetonka, MN, Kingston, NY or Green Bay, WI area, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* (work from home) as you take on some tough challenges.
Welcome to one of the toughest and most fulfilling ways to help people, including yourself. We offer the latest tools, most intensive training program in the industry and nearly limitless opportunities for advancement. Join us and start doing your life's best work.SM
UnitedHealthcare’s highly skilled team of Care Advisors is dedicated to serving and managing special needs for our members and/or their family members. When you join our team as a Care Advisor, you will have the opportunity to deliver an extraordinary experience to family members who need an ally. Care Advisors are empowered to fast track resolutions and serve as an ongoing resource to provide guidance and community resources during key transition times throughout the family’s journey. Some of the issues you will help resolve include complex benefits, claim and billing issues, prior authorizations, appeals and more.
You will make an impactful and meaningful difference for many individuals and families. This is where you can bring your compassion for others while doing your life’s best work.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday - Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any shift schedules during the normal business hours of 7:00am – 6:15pm CST / 7:00am - 7:15pm EST. We offer 16 weeks of paid training. The hours during training will be 8:30am to 5:00pm EST Monday-Friday. Training will be conducted virtually from your home.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Provide holistic family support to members who may have special needs themselves or may be caring for children or family members with special needs, owning end-to-end resolution of issues.
- Serve as an ongoing, point of contact for members, primarily via the phone channel (may also will use email, chat, text), delivering compassionate support to members, creating a memorable, positive experience.
- Create and build ongoing relationships with others including both members and teammates.
- Make decisions independently and solve problems creatively and completely using sound judgment and critical thinking.
- Consistently follow through on commitments and framing realistic expectations for members.
- Plan, prioritize, organize and complete work to meet established objectives for our families.
- Responsible for managing project time to insure follow up and outreach work is completed in a timely manner.
- Families served include a range of low, moderate and high needs as determined by clinical needs, financial impacts, and/or level of escalation.
- Process includes outreach calls to initiate contact with members referred by executives and partners.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate family counts on our documentation platform.
- Focus on team work and fostering strong team environment through activities including mentoring and acting as a resource for colleagues.
- Anticipate member needs and proactively seek out external and internal resources or partners where appropriate to add unexpected value for the member.
- Determine appropriate referrals to other programs/services as needed with or without technology guidance.
- Responsible for providing high quality member experience as reflected in post contact surveys and member feedback.
To succeed as a Healthcare Customer Advisor, ideal candidates will possess:
- Passion for helping individuals and families of children with special needs.
- Strong empathy, compassion and listening skills.
- Aptitude to be proactive, organized, resourceful and relentless with solving issues and providing support; can think outside the box.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills, able to prioritize time efficiently.
- Self-starter abilities and thrive in ambiguity without established processes.
- Motivation to improve process.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to understand many different special needs conditions, the impact on the family and then tailor approaches to a variety of unique individuals.
- Ability to diffuse member distress, manage complex situations and the aptitude to translate complex benefit terminology and processes into common language members can understand and act upon.
- Ability to work well within a team
- Strong focus on putting member’s needs at the center of decisions
- A drive to add value by delivering more than the customers expect.
- Agility and flexibility in order to excel in a very fast-paced work environment with constant learning and change.
- Ability to step in with new members, quickly review history and confidently speak to member needs.
- Energy for what needs to be done and for overcoming challenges.
- A coachable mindset focused on professional development and able to implement constructive feedback and coaching.
- Highly skilled at de-escalation techniques; able to move conversations toward building trust.
- High emotional intelligence; able to separate self from complaints/escalated members and focus on delivering thoughtful, compassionate care and resolving issues.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Minimum of 1+ years of experience helping, resolving or advocating on behalf of members or customers
- Experience using a computer and Microsoft Office including Microsoft Word (create correspondence and work within templates), Microsoft Excel (ability to sort, filter, and create simple spreadsheets), and Microsoft Outlook (email and calendar management)
- Ability to work 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8 - 10 hour shifts based on business needs during our normal business hours of 7:00am – 7:15pm EST within our Family Engagement Center
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders.
- Bachelor's degree ( or higher) in related field
- Minimum of 1+ years A4Me or 3+ months Quick Assist experience
- Experience providing care for children with special needs
- Claims processing experience
- Experience within a member focused healthcare environment
- Experience within a service delivery capacity (examples include, but are not limited to: social services, caregivers, hospitality, social work, sales, non-profit agencies)
- Reside within 60 miles from Minnetonka, MN, Kingston, NY or Green Bay, WI
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- Must be able to connect directly into internet – via hard wire (either directly to modem or router)
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time to work a minimum of once a month in the office
- Highly skilled at de-escalation techniques
UnitedHealth Group is an essential business. The health and safety of our team members is our highest priority, so we are taking a science driven approach to slowly welcome and transition some of our workforce back to the office with many safety protocols in place. We continue to monitor and assess before we confirm the return of each wave, paying specific attention to geography-specific trends. At this time, 90% of our non - clinical workforce transitioned to a work at home (remote) status. We have taken steps to ensure the safety of our 325,000 team members and their families, providing them with resources and support as they continue to serve the members, patients and customers who depend on us.
You can learn more about all we are doing to fight COVID-19 and support impacted communities at: https://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/newsroom/addressing-covid.html
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 5 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near - obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, Military families and Veterans wherever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life’s best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: SNI; Advisor; Special Needs; Healthcare, Customer, Advisor UHC; Customer service, Kingston, NY, Green Bay, WI, work at home, work from home, WAH, WFH, remote, telecommute, hiring immediately, #RPO