Who We Are: Steamboat- Ski Town, U.S.A. ® is known as the friendliest mountain destination in the world, thanks to our western heritage and welcoming staff. We pride ourselves on hiring the best employees and providing the best experience in the industry. Our employee satisfaction scores top the charts and we have employees who choose to work for the resort for 2, 5, 10, 20 plus years. Fair warning, starting a job at Steamboat could lead to endless fun, lifelong friendships and a rooted sense of community.
Who We’re Looking For: Friendly folks who want to work at the best summer vacation destination, play in the outdoors and meet friends from around the world. If you like to provide incredible guests service with a friendly attitude, then you’re ready to join our team. If you’re dream job includes working in the sunshine, interacting with guests, rewarding work, rides on a mountain coaster, employee parties and more, then we’d love to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits: Year Round employees at Steamboat are eligible for medical, dental, vision, legal plan, pet insurance, PTO and Vacation, Paid Parental Leave, health saving account with employer contribution as well as the perks and benefits that all Steamboat employees enjoy. These include a Steamboat and Alterra Mountain ski pass for you and eligible dependents, competitive compensation, retail/rental discounts, food & beverage discounts, industry pro deal discounts, friends & family discounted tickets subject to restrictions, reservations and/or blackout dates, 401(k) plan with a generous company match, (eligibility rules apply), Employee Assistance Program, and a chance to learn and advance within Steamboat Ski & Resort Corp. Steamboat employees are also eligible for discounted tuition with partner online universities for all Alterra Mountain Company employees to further their education.
The Steamboat Grand is hiring an Executive Chef. Applicants must have at least 4 years experience in a leadership role as an Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef in a professional kitchen. Cover letter and resume required.
Detailed job description, including responsibilities, work performed, tools or equipment used, etc.:
- Abide by and ensure all hotel outlets and departments compliance with established health and safety procedures as well as department and company policies and procedures
- Plan and develop with Director of Culinary Operations, menus for hotel outlets, specialty menus, and banquets & catering. Research, develop, modify and test recipes. Maintain updated and accurate costing and documentation of all dishes prepared and sold in the food and beverage operations.
- Manage the day-to-day operations and assignments of the kitchen staff, communicate goals, and assign/prioritize work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures with all staff. Supervision of kitchen staff in regards to food handling including: rotation and sanitation. Support Resort Culinary Management team in supervisory role as manager on duty when necessary.
- Oversee the proper operation and maintenance of all kitchen equipment at the hotel
- Open and close kitchens according to schedule/guidelines/assignments; assist in the creation, usage, and follow through of prep lists, cleaning list, and closing lists
- Supervise and coordinate food, supply, equipment, and inventory control purchasing for operations. Coordinate food and menu costing (COGS). Establish procedures and timeframes for conducting inventory. Determine minimum and maximum stocks for all food, material, and kitchen equipment.
- Plan staffing needs and work schedules. Work with outlet chefs on staffing needs and labor control.
- Oversee or directly supervise all food preparation, quantity and production activities. Ensure that all menu items are prepared and presented according to established recipes and standards.
- Ensure all staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
- Organize stations to create greatest efficiency and keep work area and kitchen organized and clean at all times. Maintain all procedures set up in all areas.
- Receive food and properly store in correct and allotted areas.
- Audit portion control and quality on a continual basis
- Meet and exceed all budgetary goals in regards to Cost of Goods and Labor expense
- Be able to run any kitchen as a relief or in an emergency situation
- Ensure understanding and compliance with all company policies and procedures as well as any regulatory requirements
- Support Banquet Team with any needed presence and or supervision.
- Attend weekly F & B Manager Meetings.
- Supervise the cleaning and organizing of all walk-in refrigerators and freezers and other storage areas.
- Other duties, as assigned
Minimum skills, experience, education and ability required for this job:
- Associates degree in culinary arts or a minimum 4 years experience as an Executive Chef/Executive Sous chef
- Must have at least 4 years experience in a leadership role as an Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef in a professional kitchen
- Prior food and beverage kitchen management experience required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word, as well as Food Trak, preferred
- Ability to problem solve in a highly effective manner and maintain positive relationships with guests and staff, including management, subordinates and co-workers
- Ability to be a consistent role model for company’s Service Excellence standards
- Must be minimum 18 years of age
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to work at a high pace
- Must be able to lift approximately 50 lbs. (i.e. a sack of potatoes or stacked supplies)
- Ability to communicate clearly in English both written and verbal
- This is a salaried exempt position and is not subject to overtime pay
- Position requires working weekends and holidays as needed
- Pursuant to county and/or state orders and company policies, every employee is required to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms, practice social distancing, wash hands frequently, wear a mask per current guidelines, self-report and call in immediately and stay home if sick and assist with sanitizing and disinfecting work areas. Employees must follow all resort mitigation plans and protocols, which can be found posted on resort buildings and on Beekeeper
The base salary pay range below represents the low and high end of the Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation salary pay range for this position. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term and long-term incentives and many region-specific benefits.
Steamboat area base salary pay range: $80,000 - $100,000 per year
Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation is an equal opportunity employer