Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Manager within the Strategic Management Office is a highly client-facing Management Consultant within Optum Advisory Services (OAS), serving both internal and external payer and provider clients. You will work with health care consulting professionals who deliver and translate objectives into actions; then work to convert those actions into measurable results. Our team of program delivery professionals supports experts in areas such as health plan administration, data analytics, population health management, strategy and system and integration services to execute on and deliver large scale initiatives. The Strategic Management Office (SMO) supports all areas of OAS with top talent project delivery professionals with skills in areas such as project management, change management, process engineering, organizational design, and solution analysis. We are looking for experts in one or more of these areas.
Success in this role requires client facing consulting experience and problem solving. Travel may be required based on the client engagement.
We have offices based in Eden Prairie, MN; Nashville, TN; Washington DC or telecommuter opportunities.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Collaborate with OAS consulting teams and our clients’ business and technology teams to define deliverables and develop solutions that are reusable across the organization
- Effectively build and maintain relationships with internal and external clients
- Demonstrated ability to manage risk mitigation and escalation successfully
- Demonstrate sound relationship management skills and ability to handle challenging interpersonal situations
- Act in a management consultant role to help clients understand and solve their unique operational and technology challenges
- Perform project / program management duties including the creation of status reports, work plans, and presentations to client leadership
- Mentor and guide project team consultants
- Identify and document business process re-engineering opportunities including current and future state process flows
- Define, develop, and document business requirements to ensure clients’ needs are captured and delivered
- Participate in quality assurance and user acceptance testing by writing test scripts, executing test cases, and documenting defects
- Develop financial models and tools, including cost-benefit analysis, resource utilization models and performance reports
- Produce written materials such as job aids, training material and instruction manuals for end-users
- Collaborate with team members to develop new capabilities and offerings our teams can bring to the market
- Lead and contribute to internal / non-billable projects across a variety of needs to enable our team’s ability to grow and evolve to market needs
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's Degree and 7+ years relevant consulting experience OR advanced degree and 5+ years relevant consulting experience
- 5+ years of enterprise project / program management experience, organizational design, or process design experience
- 5+ years of working in a professional consulting organization
- 3+ years of experience leading a team of direct reports
- Client relationship management experience
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite - Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to travel domestically, up to 60% - 80%, actual travel may vary by engagement
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
*** For those engagements requiring travel, travel is typically out on Monday and back late Thursday night, with work out of home office on non-travel days.
- Graduate level degree in business or healthcare
- One or more of the following: PROSCI Certification, PMP Certification, Lean Certification
- Experience developing new business and identifying add-on work within your existing engagement
- Management consulting firm experience
- Experience in healthcare consulting (Payer or Provider)
- Experience leading strategic initiatives and/or strategy work
- Experience with project turnaround / remediation
- Experience mentoring junior level staff and leading direct reports
- Experience working in and successfully navigating a matrixed environment
- Possess analytical reasoning and solution-focus problem solving
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional teams
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job keywords: Manager, Strategic Management Office, SMO, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote, WAH, Eden Prairie, MN