Requisition ID: 150560
Job Level: Entry Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Industrial Engineering
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Industrial Engineering (K-IND) is seeking an Early Career Mechanical Designer. We are looking for ideal candidates to grow the Kiewit team by helping establish, maintain, and improve company standards and tools while also utilizing these standards and tools to contribute to project success. Candidates shall be familiar with current drawing and technical tools, programs, and software with an understanding of design documentation creation and layouts. Candidates shall be capable of exhibiting flexibility in work assignments while maintaining a growth mindset and continuing to develop in their technical and professional career.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Design Group, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
We are a high-performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of our Denver, CO office and typically requires less than 25 percent travel.
- Utilize SmartPlant P&ID to draft Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) based on direction from design engineers.
- Create mechanical sketches, layouts, and detail drawings.
- Develop and check design deliverables in accordance with industry codes and standards, contract requirements, and company standards.
- Develop the capability to navigate 3D models and check for interferences and constructability.
- Complete miscellaneous tasks to support the project or department development.
- Coordinate with other design partners (both internal and external) including construction partners, equipment suppliers, and other engineers and designers assigned to the project or task and review work progress and results.
- Ability to take on more complex tasks and assignments as directed by the Lead Designer.
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Computer Aided Design and Drafting Technology or related field.
- Knowledge of design software such as SmartPlant, AutoCAD, MicroStation, Inventor, or Solidworks.
- Proficient in basic computing programs including the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- 0 to 3 years of industry-related design experience.
- Fast-paced office environment; must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management while simultaneously managing a diversified workload and challenging situations efficiently and effectively; regularly sit, stand, walk and talk and listen; occasionally lift and move objects up to 30 pounds.
- Travel in the U.S. and internationally (5-15%)
Base Compensation: $39,000 - $58,000
(Actual compensation is subject to variation due to such factors as education, experience, skillset, and/or location)
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.