Location Name: Denver, CO
Job/Requisition ID: [[id]]
Location Address: 1515 Arapahoe St Twr1 Ste 1600, Denver, CO, United States (US), 80202
Education Level: Bachelor's Required
Relevant Experience Level: Entry Level (1-3 Years)
Employee Group: Regular - Full Time
Employee Subgroup: Salaried Exempt
The Operations Accountant will be responsible for settling one or more gathering assets and assisting other senior accountants with their plant assets in a timely and accurate manner and in accordance with company policies using the various accounting systems. Also, will be responsible to accrue for many plant expenses each month and provide variance explanations for current month operations.
- Obtains information from internal and external sources to record accounting transactions in the accounting systems and general ledger.
- Ensures transactions are recorded, documented, reviewed and supported in accordance with company policies and controls.
- Perform the allocations of plant expenses, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
- Responsible for accuracy and timeliness of transactions in the systems and general ledger accounts. Applies analytical review to system results to ensure transactions are properly recorded in the accounting systems.
- Prepare monthly estimates & actualization for the specific assets.
- Analyzes account balances and margin account activity at month end and prepares properly supported account reconciliations, margin analysis, and SOX documentation.
- Provide monthly variance analysis on assets for management reporting purposes.
- Answers and resolves internal and external customer inquiries, including audit inquiries from external auditors, Internal Auditing, and producer auditors.
- Provides expertise to others in the MarkWest community for your specific system.
- Files applicable regulatory reports as required by state and federal governmental agencies.
- Strive to understand the full-range of the applicable operational accounting systems (e.g. Quorum Suite and/or Right Angle) functionality, the specific assets for which the accountant is responsible and the midstream business.
- Supports projects as needed and assists other accountants as requested by management.
- Provide support to senior accountants and/or accounting supervisors.
- Maintains desk procedures to document the mechanics of booking the assets.
- Occasional (1-2 annual) travel to field location.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- One to three years of work experience as a degreed professional preferred.
- One to three years of oil and gas industry experience preferred.
- Experience with Oracle accounting software preferred.
- Basic understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Ability to work under high pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated and team-oriented individual.
- Detail-oriented and strong analytical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in use of Excel and Word and have the aptitude to effectively learn company-specific accounting systems.
- Excellent organization skills.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation's largest refining system. MPC's marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon brand retail outlets. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interest in MPLX LP, a midstream company that owns and operates gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: None
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in English or Spanish. Right to Work Statement English or Spanish.
To view benefit information for Marathon Petroleum Corporation please visit mympcbenefits.com.