About Our Job
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure, and services.
For more information, please visit the DOTI website.
DOTI's Commitment to Equity:
* DOTI is committed to providing attention and resources to the areas, assets, and people of the city with the greatest need through equitable contracting, equitable investments, and equitable workforce development.
* DOTI's culture revolves around four key principles: (1) Invest in Our People, (2) Operate with Discipline, (3) Use Data to Drive Decisions, and (4) Deliver Results.
The Division of Transportation Operations is responsible for managing the performance of the transportation infrastructure. Sections within the Division include curbside management, traffic signals, signs and markings, and system operations.
The Division of Transportation Operations is responsible for maintaining and operating transportation infrastructure. Sections within the Division include curbside management, traffic signals, signs and markings, system operations, and managing the street lighting franchise agreement. Our Signs and Markings team is hiring for a Traffic Operations Technician II (TOT II) to be part of their crew.
If you like working outdoors, this is an excellent opportunity. Our team are stewards of safety in a traffic-controlled work zone. This job environment is working with crew members who are punctual and thrive in a team setting. Commitment and being on time at work is essential.
As a Sign TOT II you will expect to:
* Ensure the proper installation and maintenance of regulatory signs per City standards and/or per MUCTD regulations, including the application of date stickers for identification purposes
* Removes damaged or old signs and signposts, breaks up concrete bases, prepares and pours concrete, cuts metal poles and bases, and installs new posts and signs
* Interpret Engineer Work Orders related to adds, moves or changes of new sign placement and maintenance. Projects to include bikeways, Area Management Plans and Parking Management Plans
* When assigned, the Tech II Associate will be able to drive and/or operate an aerial lift truck to facilitate the installation, repair, or removal of overhead signs
* Assist in the design, fabrication, and construction of traffic signs and other signs as designated by the unit through the use of computers, and other graphics equipment
* Respond with a sense of urgency to all emergency callouts for damaged and/or knockdown of regulatory signs to ensure public safety
* When assigned, the Tech II Associate will be able to perform as a Crew Lead when requested, and be responsible for daily work activities (e.g., Cartegraph, Work Order installations, task assignments, safety, etc.)
* Be responsible for pre-trip loading the trucks for each day's activities
* Coordinate with the crew lead and Operations Supervisor in achieving Agency goals as posted. Practice strong communication skills with other members and management
* Operate vehicles and performs pre-trip inspection to ensure proper functioning, which includes checking fluid levels, observing leaks, monitoring condition of hoses and belts, checking tire pressure, ensuring brake lights and lights work, and performs other related inspections
* Operate equipment and uses tools, to ensure that they are secure, clean, and in proper working order, which includes maintenance and repair
* Observe all common safety practices associated with tools and equipment, monitoring work environment for safety and hazards, and ensures safety for self and others
* Places and removes barricades, cones, and other traffic control and safety devices in and around work areas for installation and maintenance projects in accordance with traffic regulation requirements
* Log, record, and create daily work reports for management using Cartegraph
* Train and mentor junior level employees in the operation of street signs and use of related equipment
* Residential Snow Program - participate in Snow removal events when called upon by completing assigned route in a thorough and timely manner
Our ideal candidate will have:
* Team-focused work ethic that focuses on punctuality, flexibility, collaboration to assist others, and innovation
* Knowledge in flagging, road closures and work zone procedures
* Desire to mentor TOT I and Utility Workers
* Ability to work a variable schedule due to possible emergencies and in inclement weather
* Attention detail in the field and data entry
* Basic computer skills such as MS Office and inventory management software (Cartegraph)
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
* Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
* Experience: Two (2) years of traffic signs and markings experience or construction experience in roadway or transportation
* Education/Experience Equivalency: A combination of appropriate education and experience may be substituted for the minimum education and experience requirements
* License/Certifications: Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements at the time of application.
* IMSA (International Municipal Signal Association) Work Zone Traffic Control Safety Certification OR ATSSA Traffic Control Technician Certification is required at the time of application.
* IMSA Signs & Pavement Markings Technician Level I Certification or ATSSA Pavement Markings Technician Certification or equivalent is required at time of application.
* Obtain IMSA Signs Technician Level II Certification or equivalent within 1 year of hire or promotion.
* Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
About Everything Else
CJ2864 Traffic Operations Technician II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$21.70 - $32.55
Based on experience and education
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.