Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
The Water Scientist II is responsible for developing and performing test programs at the NMS laboratory associated with water management and waste and tailings characterization, in support of Newmont’s Process Development team and global operation. Provides mentorship to entry level scientists and technicians and support the Water Lab Manager on technical reporting.
Your role will consist of
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
SAFETY AND HEALTH
- We promote safety as a value at Newmont. Act safely on a personal basis and encourage safe practices with others in the team. Identify potential hazards and take appropriate action to control; communicate potential and outcome to entire team. Replicate findings across other departments when warranted.
- We implement laboratory test programs related to water treatment and ore and waste characterization independently with guidance from the Water Laboratory Manager.
- We establish and maintain an excellent working relationship with other teams within Newmont Metallurgical Services (NMS), Metallurgy, Projects and Operations personnel.
- We collect and analyze data, write reports and other related documentation for different test programs.
- We provide technical support for contractors as required to perform maintenance and upgrades to environmental laboratory equipment and onsite water treatment plant.
- We mentor and assist with training of other Environmental Scientists and Technicians.
- We are part of Newmont Metallurgical Services’ Water Laboratory team.
- We develop lines of communication with external departments and shared services.
- We maintain communication with third parties such as other laboratories, companies, technology providers, universities to ensure standard methodologies are followed and innovative ideas are considered and implemented in support of the test programs.
- We act in a manner that reinforces 'The Newmont Values Statement'.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, and experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you
- B.S. Degree/Master Degree in Chemistry, Environmental Science, Chemical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or related field.
- Experience should include 3-5 years combined experience in Environmental/Water Science laboratory testing.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to communicate sophisticated issues clearly and efficiently.
Working conditions and location
Where you will be located!
- The position is located in the Englewood MTF office.
- Position may be required to travel to, and assist other domestic and international sites.
The salary range offered for this role is $66,000 - 86,625. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.